Question

Q: Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4054517 fails to install error 0x80070643

We just got our "second Tuesday" updates (12/12/2017) on our W10 machine running V1709.

The cumulative update KB4054517 failed with an error code of 0x80070643.

The only thing we've discovered so far is that this machine will not display our other 3 PC's on the network when we select "Network" in File Explorer.  But all three other PC's can "see" and access this PC no problem.  And we ran a batch backup job on the affected PC and it was able to copy files from all three other PC's.  So it's just a display problem in File Explorer -> Network.  

We've run Windows Update Troubleshooter and told it to Apply Fixes whenever it prompted us, and it DID report that it found and fixed three issues:

Potential Windows Update Database Error - Fixed

Windows Update Component Must Be Repaired - Fixed

Check for pending updates - Fixed

After exiting the Troubleshooter, we clicked on "Check for Updates" again and it said "Your device is up to date". 

We noticed that the build number after the "failed" update had changed to 16299.125.  So the system thinks it DID install something newer than it had before, but Windows Update thinks the cumulative patch failed to install.

BTW, the other "Second Tuesday" patches (Adobe Flash KB4053577 and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool KB890830) both installed OK.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

The issue you're experiencing with updating your Windows might be due to corrupted components or files.

That being said, have you tried restoring your PC from a recent restore point or performing a System Restore? This will take your PC back to the time you haven't installed the update yet.

If you haven't tried it yet, you may consider it by following the steps under the Restore from a system restore point selection found here.

After doing a system restore, you may try installing the update again.

Let us know how it worked for you.

Regards.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

this is an issue please advise something other than restore...  

Sorry this didn't help.

62 people were helped by this reply

I did a full recovery clean re-install, and the problem still exists. 

Sorry this didn't help.

49 people were helped by this reply

Having the same issue. Went to Microsoft Update Catalog website to download and manually install the update, but got error message saying i have KB4054517 installed.

Sorry this didn't help.

20 people were helped by this reply

I did the same as you, and I also received a message, but it said the update KB4054517was not compatible with my system. 

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Based on the experiences of the other people who have already replied on this thread (including a clean install and re-update that failed again!), we don’t think performing a RESTORE and re-running Windows Update would result in any different outcome.

After installing the 12/12/2017 Quality update on 4 different PC’s, we believe the installation problems are being caused by different versions of the Windows Update Client software.  Please read the following carefully to see why we have reached this conclusion.

PC BUILD NUMBERS BEFORE AND AFTER 12/12/2017 QUALITY UPDATES

We have 4 Windows 10 PC’s.  Two of them installed the Fall Creators update (V1709) on 11/14/17, and the other two installed the Fall Creators Update on 12/9/17.  The V1709 Build number was NOT the same between these two groups.  The two PC’s that had the later Build of V1709 did NOT report the installation error on the 12/12/2017 Quality Update, and they appear to be functioning normally.

Build Status Before and After 12/12/2017 Quality update:

Computers A and B – Version 1709 Build 16299.64 (Installed 11/14/2017) updated to Build 16299.125, but reported an installation error code of 0x80070643 on the KB4054517 Cumulative Update.

Computers C and D – Version 1709 Build 16299.98 (Installed 12/9/2017) updated to Build 16299.125 without any installation errors reported on any of the 12/12/17 Quality updates.

Note that even for the two PC’s reporting error code 0x80070643, they ALL now display the SAME Build number (16299.125) after the 12/12/2017 Quality update.

DIFFERENCES IN QUALITY UPDATE PROCESSES BASED ON PREVIOUS BUILD NUMBER

During the 12/12/2017 Quality Updates, we observed VERY significant differences in the update sequence and messaging, depending on the pre-update Build number.  This leads us to believe that the Windows Update software being used was different for Build 16299.64 versus 16299.98.

Here are some of the major differences we observed between the “.64” updates and the “.98” updates:

DIFFERENCES IN UPDATE PROCESS

The “.98” updates followed the “normal” progression we’ve observed over the last two years for cumulative updates – namely after pressing “Restart Now”, it works on updates through 30%, does a Restart, works on updates 30-100%, then displays lock screen.

The “.64” updates followed a much different sequence and displayed a host of messages that were new to us.  They worked on updates through 30%, then did a Restart, then displayed messages like “Stage 1 of 2 – Working on Features”, “Stage 1 of 2 – Getting Windows Ready”, “Stage 2 of 2 – Setting Up Updates”, and “Stage 2 of 2 – Working on Updates” and then did ANOTHER Restart and worked on updates from 30-100%.

Once the “.64” PC’s displayed the lock screen, our first entry of the password was ignored, and we saw circling dots on top of our lock screen picture.  On both “.64” PC’s we had to enter the password a second time before the Desktop was displayed.

The “.64” PC’s required that the Flash Player patch KB4053577 be installed during the Restart, but the “.98” PC’s were able to successfully install that patch BEFORE the Restart.

NETWORK DISPLAY ISSUES AFTER THE QUALITY UPDATE

Immediately after the updates, the two “.98” PC’s (now on “.125”) could see all 4 computers and our router’s READYSHARE when displaying “Network” in File Explorer.  But the two “.64” PC’s didn’t display any LAN PC’s in File Explorer -> Network.

Even though File Explorer -> Network was not displaying other PC’s correctly on two of the PC’s, ALL of our PC’s COULD actually access each other after the updates.

NOTE:  After we did some manual file accesses between PC’s on our network, one of the two “.64” PC’s eventually DID start displaying all of the PC’s on our LAN Network.  We noticed that it now had a Windows Service running called “Net.Pipe Listening Adaptor”, but that same service is NOT running on the “.64” PC that still doesn’t display all the other PC’s on the LAN in File Explorer -> Network.  We have not tried starting this “Net.Pipe Listening Adaptor” service on that PC, but we’d be willing to try that!

CONCLUSIONS

We think that V1709 Build 16299.125 has essentially been installed on all 4 PC’s  and they are functioning fairly normally.  But perhaps some .NET module may NOT have been installed or started up quite properly on the “.64” PC’s, resulting in the 0x80070643 error code.

Based on the experiences of the other people who have already replied on this thread, we don’t think performing a RESTORE and re-running Windows Update would result in any different outcome.

Sorry this didn't help.

51 people were helped by this reply

I just had this same problem happen to me today right now after my computer restarted after downloading&installing this latest cumulative update.

I don't want to use restore feature or try to install it manually, because it probably fails like it has with others who has posted to this topic earlier.

I don't have any useful info neither the answer for how to fix this problem other than suggesting MS support to re-read the posts done by Mountain BnJ and others and giving us a way to fix it somehow.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry this didn't help.

KB4054517 also failed to install on 12/12/2017 with error  0x80070643.  Currently running Win 10 Pro 1709 OS build 16299.125.

also Intel Display update 20.19.15.4835 shows status awaiting install on setting screen but in update history shows successfully installed on 12/12/2017

Sorry this didn't help.

i have parallel experience.  Running W10 1709. last week I noticed that KB4051963   build 16299.98 never triggered an update on my machine.  I assume I was on previous .64 build. Today KB4054517 installed but failed with message 0x80070643.  But  I check the build number in setting the version is W10 Pro 1709 OS build 162.9.125

The build cycle was same as you describe with stage 1 and stage 2 messages and a reboot.

Sorry this didn't help.

I got Microsoft to call me and basically they loaded a Win10 ISO and

reinstalled it.  I kept all the apps and user settings, their was a option for that,

I thought you could keep the user setting only.

Ran fine after that 

Gary

Sorry this didn't help.

5 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 33399 Last updated: January 20, 2018 Applies to: