Windows 10 clean install on a formatted (blank) hard drive

My PC is an Acer TC-220; Windows 10 was pre-installed.

A simple Factory Restore went terribly awry and I found myself in a position that none of the Recovery Disks (including a separate Applications & Drivers disk) I made when I unboxed the PC or the Win 10 System Repair Disk I created a short while later were of any assistance in getting my computer up and running.  No matter what I tried I could never get past the ‘entering Setup’ screen.  I let it sit one day for over 4 hours & it did not change.  It was suggested that I remove the HDD and format it and proceed with a clean install.  I have a HDD enclosure so I put the HDD in the enclosure, connected it to my laptop and proceeded to format the HDD.  I then returned the HDD to my PC.  I downloaded the Windows Media Creation Tool.  I installed it on a formatted 32GB thumb drive and also burned the ISO files to a DVD-R.  I also downloaded a file called Rufus.  Try as I might, I am no further ahead no matter which type of media I try.  Actually, I cannot now even get past the logo screen.  Clicking F12 is supposed to proceed to the Setup screen except nothing happens when I do; but that makes me wonder how the computer would recognize a usb mouse and/or keyboard if they have nothing more than a blank HDD to access? 

I am totally lost.  Can anyone offer any Dummy step-by-step instructions that would assist me in installing Windows 10 Home to a BLANK formatted hard drive? 

What am I doing wrong?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Follow these steps for a Clean Install Windows 10 which results in the best possible install which will stay that way to the exact extent that you stick with the steps, tools and methods.

You don't need to remove your hard drive to format as you can do this most effectively during the booted install by deleting all partitions down to Unallocated Space.  These steps are illustrated in the Wiki. 

Use only the Media Creation Tool to create the flash stick installer.  No need to use Rufus which can only  complicate a fully automated process using MCT.

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes.

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 10 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-20

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Follow these steps for a Clean Install Windows 10 which results in the best possible install which will stay that way to the exact extent that you stick with the steps, tools and methods.

You don't need to remove your hard drive to format as you can do this most effectively during the booted install by deleting all partitions down to Unallocated Space.  These steps are illustrated in the Wiki. 

Use only the Media Creation Tool to create the flash stick installer.  No need to use Rufus which can only  complicate a fully automated process using MCT.

Hello & many thanks for taking the time to try and assist.  However, I don't feel that you really understand my dilemma.  The wiki information you provided is hardly dummy instructions although I am aware of the information contained therein.   I've been at this for ages and I don't think there is a website or a YouTube video on the subject that I have not visited.   My head is spinning.  I need Dummy instructions that can tell me what I am doing wrong or what I may be overlooking.

- I have a formatted (blank) hard drive.

- I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and created a flash stick installer on a 32GB thumb drive as well as burning the ISO files to a DVD-R.

- I put the thumb drive in the computer and boot it. 

- my usb mouse and keyboard are connected

- The PC starts and the Acer Logo screen appears. 

- Clicking F12 is supposed to take me to the Setup screen.  It doesn't!!!  I am stalled at the logo screen.

- I try the DVD.  Ditto the above.

Once again many thanks but I am no further ahead.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I understood you did all of that.  That's why I explained to use only the Media Creation Tool to format the flash stick and not Rufus which opens it to error.  Did you even read what I wrote?

Unplug all peripherals except keyboard and mouse.   If the media won't boot by powering up the PC by pressing and holding the F12 key then try another USB port, otherwise it's probably a media issue.  You can test this by trying to boot the media in another PC. 

WHen the media boots it does not take you to the Setup screen, but to a boot menu as illustrated in the Wiki.  Please follow those illustrated steps (pictures) in Clean Install Windows 10.  When presented with a boot menu choose the UEFI version of stick if offered.

If media is confirmed good and it still won't boot then use the Key to Press to Access BIOS

to enter BIOS setup, Reset to defaults, save changes.  Then check the hard drive is detected and set first to boot in Boot Priority order, or if you have UEFI BIOS' the WIndows Boot Manager should be set first, USB boot is enabled if applicable, SATA controller is set to AHCI, Save any other changes and Exit. 

I'll help you with any of these steps which need further assistance, just ask.

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 10 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-20

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello and thanks.  My apologies if I came across as being a little testy.  I am frazzled but that is no excuse.  In any event I do realize how hard it is for someone to deal with someone else at arm's length and I thank you very, very much for caring enough to try and help. 

I tried Rufus once to no avail.  The majority of my efforts has been trying to figure out the Media Creation Tool.  I have installed it on various (blank/formatted) thumb drives (8GB to 32GB).  I have tried various external usb hard drives formatted only to use for this purpose.  I have gone through several DVD-R's to ascertain that I am burning the ISO files properly.  Regardless of the type of media I insert, when I turn on the computer, I get the Acer Logo screen and that is it.  I can bang on the F-12 key until it pops out of the keyboard but nothing happens.  I am still left staring at the Acer Logo screen.  Something is amiss and I can’t figure it out; however, trying other ports (thank you for the thought) was not something I had considered but shall definitely try.  I do have 8 usb ports (2 front/6 back) but was only using the front 2 for the mouse/keyboard as I assumed those would be the main ports (?). 

Best Regards & Happy New Year

I understood you did all of that.  That's why I explained to use only the Media Creation Tool to format the flash stick and not Rufus which opens it to error.  Did you even read what I wrote?

Unplug all peripherals except keyboard and mouse.   If the media won't boot by powering up the PC by pressing and holding the F12 key then try another USB port, otherwise it's probably a media issue.  You can test this by trying to boot the media in another PC. 

WHen the media boots it does not take you to the Setup screen, but to a boot menu as illustrated in the Wiki.  Please follow those illustrated steps (pictures) in Clean Install Windows 10.  When presented with a boot menu choose the UEFI version of stick if offered.

If media is confirmed good and it still won't boot then use the Key to Press to Access BIOS

to enter BIOS setup, Reset to defaults, save changes.  Then check the hard drive is detected and set first to boot in Boot Priority order, or if you have UEFI BIOS' the WIndows Boot Manager should be set first, USB boot is enabled if applicable, SATA controller is set to AHCI, Save any other changes and Exit. 

I'll help you with any of these steps which need further assistance, just ask.

Sorry this didn't help.

The majority of my efforts has been trying to figure out the Media Creation Tool.

There were many other steps i gave you to try besides different USB ports.  Time and again when problems like this don't get solved it's because the skipped step was the fix.  I'll bet you'd already have it installed if a step I've already given you had not been skipped or ignored.

Can you put the stick into another PC to see if it will in fact boot.  That tells us if it's good so we can focus on  Clear CMOS - 3 Ways to Clear the CMOS - Reset BIOS to get media to boot in the PC. 

If the stick won't boot in another PC then please follow the  steps in this link Media Creation Tool when you expand the second category for Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (click to show more or less information)

If you'll report back the problems you're having with these steps we will help you get them completed.  I am glad to help you all you need.

Windows MVP 2010-20

Sorry this didn't help.

thank you thank you thank you.

Beautiful instructions. Excellent wikki article. I have bookmarked in case of another rainy day down the road.  I suspect the part that LG13 missed was the deletion of existing partition as i stumbled there before i read your post.  Thanks again, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

One thing that I have noticed missing from this that might be of interest: F12 is not always the key to enter boot or BIOS. It all depends on which motherboard and BIOS version you are running. Find out what motherboard you have and do a Google search to find which key needs to be pressed to enter BIOS. For my MSI motherboard, the Delete key is the one I need to press. If your computer is not trying to boot off the DVD or USB, it will not proceed. 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, that's in the original post in this thread and not my tutorial  Clean Install Windows 10 which offers the various keys to trigger the Boot Menu from this link:  BIOS Boot Menu Key

This is important because with today's modern BIOS it can cause problems to take the Windows Boot Manager out of first place in Boot Priority Order in Setup at all. 

Windows MVP 2010-20

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, that's in the original post in this thread and not my tutorial  Clean Install Windows 10 which offers the various keys to trigger the Boot Menu from this link:  BIOS Boot Menu Key

This is important because with today's modern BIOS it can cause problems to take the Windows Boot Manager out of first place in Boot Priority Order in Setup at all.  

My Win7 os has been working fine for the past 3-4 years, decided to do a clean install of Win10. The usb media is recognized, completes the loading files page and goes into the motherboard text page with (1) white dot showing then goes to a blank screen. Tried the usb media on another computer and worked fine, turns out the one white dot is the start of the circular dots showing the active install. Attempting to install the new w10 os on a 1tb ssd that was wiped and formated as an “F” drive before removing the main ssd “c” drive with the previous os system and files still in tact. I have reloaded the bios defaults but cannot get past the above text page with one dot. Could the “F” drive designation be causing the problem and if so how do I change. If not any advise would be very much appreciated.

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

F9 Bios

Intel i7 4771

I can reinstall the original ssd that contains w7 and the system functions normally.

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you create media only from Media Creation Tool?

Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/23010-bios-boot-menu-f-keys-hotkeys-system-manufacturer-oem.html

Choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, then on second screen choose Repair Your Computer.

If the media won't boot you may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup   to turn off Fast Boot or Fast Startup first. http://www.mydigitallife.info/comprehensive-list-of-how-key-to-press-to-access-bios-for-various-oem-and-computer-systems/

Follow the illustrated Clean Install steps in this tutorial which compiles the best possible install that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-reinstall-windows-10-upgradefactory-oem/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

Windows MVP 2010-20

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 27, 2020 Views 49,314 Applies to: