Windows 10 Clean Install Issue - Error 0xc00000e9

I have updated my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro. Worked fine, but with one problem, I could not do any Windows updates, could not connect to the server. Everything else worked fine, internet connection, updating Microsoft Defender etc, all functional, bar the Windows Updates.

I did a reset, hung on the Recovery Screen, "An unexpected I/O error has occurred" with the error code 0xc00000e9.

Tried a DVD install, same problem.

Tried a USB install, same problem.

Enter or F8 loops back to the same screen. Tried removing all USB devices, no change. 

Can someone assist in this?

I can't remember my exact specs, and my main computer is caught in the boot loop, så cant dig them out. BUt the computer is okay spec-wise.

Specs:

I5-4670K 

32 GB RAM 

980 GTX

Asus Maximus Extreme VI

Samsung 840 SSD

A lot of 4TB disks

CD-DVD burner 

Hello, 

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

This error message: An unexpected I/O error has occurred. Status: (0Xc00000e9) is a hardware error pertaining to your system’s BIOS.  Basically it is telling you that the computer is not able to reliably communicate with the hard drive. We can try a few steps and check if it works: 

Unplug all external devices and restart the computer to check.

Method 1:

Check if the issue occurs in safe mode with networking and perform clean boot.  

Method 2:

Boot your computer in Safe Mode and check the behavior.

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started.

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started.Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are startedSafe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are startedFollow the steps mentioned in the following article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2809468

See also: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

If the issue gets resolved in Safe mode, then perform Clean Boot:

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot. Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or experience the original behavior if the problem still exists. If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps.

Follow the steps mentioned in the following article.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Once you perform clean boot do refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting” to boot the computer in normal mode.

Method 3:

Perform Startup Repair. Follow the steps:

1. Press and hold Shift key and click on Restart from login screen.

2. Click on Troubleshoot.

3. Select Advanced Options.

4. Select Startup Repair and follow the on screen instructions.

Let us know the results and get back to us for further assistance and we’ll be happy to help.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

Thanks for the speedy reply. I actually got it to work, I got that the error was due to communication with some of my hardware and the BIOS.

I have the newest BIOS, so I started unplugging things.

USB devices - no effect

All other hard drives than boot - no effect

In the end, it proved to be the CD-ROM drive

Disconnected the CD-ROM drive, managed to boot and install from the USB. But the installation procedure was still unstable until I unplugged all the hard drives. Now I have manged to complete the install, re-attached all hard drives and everything is working fine. Haven't reattached the CD-ROM drive yet. 

And I am not sure that there are hardware problems, this setup worked without fault in Windows 8.1 and its working just fine in 10 now, bar the CD ROM of course. 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this problem as well.  Brand new motherboard and new DVD based installation of Win10.   I found out that my SATA cable between the DVD drive and the motherboard was faulty.   After swapping, it finally worked.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for your update on the issue.

Your meticulous efforts in resolving the issue are much appreciated.

It is good to note that you were able to figure out the root cause and were finally able to fix the issue. The resolution you updated will help other community members as well to solve their similar issues.

In addition to that, please keep us updated if you have any other recurring issues with Windows in future. We'll be glad to assist you again.

Regards,

Harkanwar

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 14,789 Applies to: