Windows 10, Boot error 0xc000014c

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Dell Inspiron 14 to Windows 10 from Windows 7.  I've had zero issues with Windows 10 since I upgraded until yesterday, when I went to open up my laptop and, before getting to the sign-in page, received a blue screen with the following message:

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Dara for your PC is missing or contains errors.

File: \Boot\BCD

Error code: 0xc000014c

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

My brother had provided 4 recovery discs for Windows 7, but when I put the CDs in the computer, nothing happened. I do not have recovery tools for Windows 10. The error message screen refreshes itself every 30 seconds or so, as if it is trying to fix itself, but it always go back to the blue screen.

I ran a diagnostics test and everything passed. I am no tech guru, so maybe there is something obvious that I am missing, but I need a helping hand to walk me through this step-by-step.

Thank you!!!

Answer
Answer

Hello Emher,

Thank you for keeping us posted on the status of the issue. I would like to assist you further from here.

From the last update, I understand that you are unable to boot to Windows with the Boot error 0xc000014c.

I would suggest you to refer to the below steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Insert the installation media and see if the following suggestion helps, if any how the boot manager is missing (although chances are less).
  • Follow the path: Trouble Shoot > Advanced Options >Command Prompt
  • Enter the following command line to check the disk partition for errors: chkdsk/f /r X:( drive letter)
  • Try using the following command lines to rebuild the BCD store and see if it helps.

CMD> bootrec /scanos

CMD> bootrec /rebuildbcd

CMD> bootrec /fixmbr

CMD> bootrec /fixboot

Please let us know if the above recommendation was helpful. If you need further information, we would be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

468 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 14, 2021 Views 86,649 Applies to: