Windows 10 Backup Fails 0x80041313

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and attempted to do a backup when there was already an existing backup from Windows 7.  This was targeted to an external USB drive.  Windows 10 backup had recommended another drive, but I wanted to use the existing one.  Backup said "this drive is about to fail," but that is not the case.  It is just fine.  So I tried the backup anyway, and the backup failed.  I then reverted to Windows 7 and ran the backup again.  It said

The task object version is either unsupported or invalid 0x80041313

I ran sfc /scannow, but no errors.

I then upgraded again to Windows 10 and ran the backup again, and the same message appeared.

So now I cannot backup.

I tried backing up to a different drive, but get the same message.

I would like to do a Windows backup under Windows 10 instead of having to a third party piece of software to do this.

Please help.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to try the following steps to run an offline Check disk scan and check.

a. Copy all the files from your downloaded ISO or Windows 10 installation disc to a 
USB stick.
b. Boot from that USB stick and press Shift+F10 when WinRE shell starts.
c. In the command prompt type:
x:\>chkdsk /f /v /r /b /offlinescanandfix c:

NOTE: Make sure c: is your boot drive with your Operating System by running.

Disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Thanks.

Rakesh C N

Microsoft Community.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Have already worked with Microsoft first level and am expecting a call from second level tech support.

Neither sfc /scannow nor disp have worked.  The problem seems to be that reversion to Windows 7 from Windows 10 corrupts the task scheduler.  When I open the task scheduler, all my scheduled tasks have the same error message, and do not appear in a list where they can be deleted.  I suspect this will be a common problem as Windows 10 distribution continues.

I am currently continuing with Windows 10 in hopes of resolving the problem.  I am wondering if anyone knows whether reversion to Windows 7 and then going back to a previous restore point would fix the problem.  If so, then I could do that and then again upgrade to Windows 10 and everything would work.  Otherwise it will be necessary to repair the task scheduler somehow.

It would be very helpful if Microsoft could issue a Windows 10 hotfix for this.  Otherwise they will end up spending a large amount of tech support time on the issue.  The first level tech support people currently cannot solve the problem.  Two separate techs have tried unsuccessfully.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have now worked unsuccessfully with Microsoft second level support.  They did a reinstall/upgrade of Win10, but it still does not permit  Win7 backup to run.  Error is the same.  Also many other errors from the Task Scheduler with the same message (without the error number).

I suspect that revert to Win7 does not handle task scheduler modules correctly, and that the subsequent repeat upgrade to Win10 keeps many of the errors in place.  My task scheduler does contain some active tasks now, so that is an improvement, but most still give error messages, probably coming from the registry somewhere.

My workaround is to use file history rather than backup, but it may well be that there are other processes that no longer work correctly because of the task scheduler errors, and I will only find that out the hard way, when something that should have  been done doesn't get done.

Any help would be appreciated.  I will try Microsoft support again, and maybe they can fix it, but so far no joy.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem. I have worked with level 1 support (Answer Desk) for multiple hours and have NOT resolved the problem. They have now referred me to level 2 support. To be continued . . . 

Sorry this didn't help.

Fix that worked for me for same problem.

Try and start Task Scheduler, it will give errors say cant find task or task no longer exisits.

for each error use regedit to delete the task from,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree

You can search for the task name in the error to find them quicker.

Once Task scheduler starts with out errors retry back and all should be okay.

Regards

Michael.

89 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank You! It works

Sorry this didn't help.

It works for me!. BackUp functionality run again.

It´s possible that you have to restart the computer. :)

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, Kerberos! Problem solved!

So, apparently it's not a 'backup problem', per se, but the Backup process invokes the Task Scheduler which has some invalid entries that cause it, the Task Scheduler, to fail. Makes sense to me now.

I did take the precaution to export the Tree folder to my desktop before deleting any entries incase there were problems. Also, it really helps to right click on the Tree folder and use the Find command, otherwise you have to search all the folders and sub-folders to find all the errors.  I had 68 errors - possibly a result of my going from W7 to W10 then reverting back to W7 and then back to W10 again.

Thanks again, Kerberos! You saved the day! ;)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for the information , I was desperate to find a solution on the 0x80041313 error generated by Windows during a backup system image .

Thank you again.

Stephane

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem - installed windows 10 and reverted back to windows 7 following which unable to do back up. Have now reinstalled windows 10 and am still unable to do back up. in all cases task object error 0x80041313 occurs.

Feel very vulnerable and do not feel like taking a risk with Rakesh's suggestions as it sound very time consuming and complex - surely Microsoft must have a user friendly solution!! 

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2020 Views 13,423 Applies to: