Windows 10 anniversary update frozen midway through installation

My Windows 10 Home desktop machine downloaded the anniversary update this afternoon and completed the first part of the installation process.  It then switched to a screen that says "Working on updates xx%;  Don't turn off your PC.  This will take a while.  Your PC will restart several times."

The percentage completion gradually increased to 82% over an hour or so.  It now has been at 82% for about 6 hours.  There's minimal hard disk activity now.  What can I do to get out of this frozen update process.  I haven't tried the power switch or pulled the plug.  Is there some way of gracefully exiting the process that is less likely to inflict injury on my operating system or data?

Thanks for any help.

Question Info

Last updated October 8, 2019 Views 85,084 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Very similar here. On a Microsoft Surface 3 pro, trying to upgrade from an existing windows 10 up to date installation. Stuck for several hours in the same blue screen, except in my case it's stuck on 32%. The surface gives no indication of disk activity so I don't know whether it's actually doing anything except spinning the dots. My surface is in a docking station, and increasingly looking like this is not going to end well.

Would be useful if someone from Microsoft actually responds to problems on launch date...

104 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ed,

I understand that anniversary update is stuck at 82% and I will be happy to answer your query. Let me ask you;

• Is the status of the update still the same?
  • Which security software is installed in the PC?

This could be due to any third party software conflict or firewall blocking this update to be installed. If the update is stuck at some percentage, you may restart the computer and try the following methods.

Method 1: Place the computer in clean boot state to avoid any third party software conflict.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows        

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Method 2: Disable security software

Important: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If the issue remains, kindly follow the Discussion thread link below:

Reset Windows updates

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

OK. I followed these steps and it did not result in any change. This is not exactly surprising. The advice seems like rather generic advice given for regular updates. The anniversary update is nothing like a regular update. It's a full OS upgrade.

At any rate, It's still stuck at 32% and gives zero diagnostic information.

The only good thing I can say is that the OS seems to be able to roll back from the failed update to it's previous state (more or less).

Any other ideas? Any way to get any diagnostics from this process?

29 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

When I got up this morning, the computer screen was unchanged except that the  % completion had increased overnight from 82% to 91%.  After a couple of hours of watching it stay at 91%, I hit the power button, which aborted the installation and restored my computer to normal function.  

Like a fool, I decided to follow the suggestion of turning off my antivirus (Avira Free Antivirus) and attempting the installation again.  At first, I thought that I was making progress.  The "getting ready to install' section of the process completed, and the "Working on updates" went all the way to 100% and the computer restarted.  When this restart was taking a while, I went outside to do some yard work.  An hour or so later, I came back to find the computer screen back at "Working on updates" and the completion figure back to 82%.  Now I can't get the thing to exit this process again.  When I turn off the computer with the power button and later turn it back on, it's back to the "working on updates" screen.  The same is true even if I pull the power plug (desktop machine) after turning it off.

I've now been without my desktop machine for about 22 hours.  During part of that time, I've searched the internet for a solution, but I'm not finding one that seems to be working for most folks who are having problems with the update.  

1398 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I downloaded the official MS update tool from your website to apply the AU immediately, and have exactly the same problem as described by Ed.

I have same Windows 10 build 10586.494. Never ran any insider builds, and never installed any AV software, nor security suites, nor 3rd party app firewalls (the only malware I have is iTunes), and also recently enabled Hyper-V for Docker software. I ran the whole process a 2nd time (I didn't rebooted between the 2 tests), and it was again stuck at 82%.

Nothing found in the Event Viewer, and I am not that expert into Windows updates log file structure. Is there a folder with logs files, whrere people could check what is happening in the background?

Sth inside these hidden $Windows temp folders, or maybe in c:\windows\softwaredistribution?

(edit : just ran Process Explorer, and noticed the update tool "SetupHost.exe" is using one CPU core at full speed, and the thread using this huge CPU is WINDLP.DLL!DllMain+0x85f0. The next one is only using 2%, and is

msvcrt.dll!endthreadex+0x30. No disk I/O, no network traffic. Hope that helps.)

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm running into the exact same issue on a Surface Pro 3 stuck at "Working on updates 32%"

I've power it off, and the tablet goes to "Restoring your previous version of Windows...," then reboots a couple of times to pre-update state.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same case here,  i think we juste have to wait. I am "stuck" at 91% by now but since last nighy i still was on 81%. I checked that i took me 4 hours to go on 83% from 82😂! So the problem is not to have the installation stucked but i'ts just horribly slow.. never seen before

37 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Arnon,

Try disabling the security software installed in the PC and check.

Important: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here. I tried: troubleshooter for uodates.

After this I turned off all firewall etc. 

In Run Dialog type msconfig and click on theServices Tab and place a check on Hide All Microsoft Services then click on Disable All

Click Start Up Tab and click Disable All.

Then manually started the uograde again. However after 5 + hours it is again stuck at 91%, where last night I ran it overnight and it was still stuck at 91%.

How to solve?

25 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

You can change one of your registry settings. It may fix this problem. To do it, Follow the instructions.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

• Open Run. To open it – Press Windows Logo Key + R from keyboard.

• Type regedit and press Enter.

• Now navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > PushNotifications.

• Now you will see NoToastApplicationNotification. Double click on it.

• Now change its value 1 to 0. 1 is default value. You will make it 0.

• Click on OK.

• Now, Sign out your Microsoft Account.

• Check for virus & malwares.

• Check for any security software and uninstall it.

• No sign in again with Microsoft account.

• Now see the problem has gone.

Hope this helps.

138 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.