Windows 10 Anniversary update for 32GB eMMC budget laptops?

Hi,

I have two budget laptops (a Lenovo S21e-20 and a HP Stream 11 Pro) that both have non-expandable, non-replaceable 32GB (30GB usable in real life) eMMC storage. Windows 10 won't upgrade to the Anniversary Edition on these laptops as there isn't 20GB available space on them (64bit systems). This means there is no upgrade in Windows Update when I trigger a manual check, and the upgrade app you can download from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history says there isn't enough free space.

That's right, I uninstalled all non-vital apps, disabled the hibernation file, disabled the swap file, disabled system restore and deleted all the restore points, cleaned up all files (including system files, temp files etc.), cleaned browser cache, used CCleaner, etc. I can't get more than 15GB free space. It's mission impossible to have 20GB free space on a 30GB drive with Windows 10 installed on...

Why there isn't an option to use a memory card or a USB flash drive for the installation? Back last year, the November update let me use a memory card or USB flash drive for the installation. MICROSOFT DEVELOPERS, please add this memory card/flash drive installation option to the Anniversary edition too. I don't really want to do a clean install, and also, it cannot be expected from the average user.

Look at how many 32GB eMMC laptops are being sold right now: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/703_7006_70006_xx_ba00010671-bv00308565|bv00308566|bv00308567/2_20/price-asc/xx-criteria.html I guess there are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of these budget laptops already sold, and they keep selling. I guess none of these can be upgraded to the Anniversary Edition at the moment... MICROSOFT, please confirm that you know about the problem and that there will be a solution soon.

Thank you

Discussion Info

Last updated January 14, 2020 Views 41,741 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You can still download the Media Creation tool for 1607.http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
True, I could do that. But at the moment I still hope the Microsoft soon adds an option to use a memory card or a USB flash drive for the upgrade, just as it did in case of the November upgrade.
Media Creation tool also says not enough space with no options

Lee Goodbrand replied (BIG thank you for the solution! It WORKS!)

Had the same problem and found the solution:

1. Make sure you have 8GB of free space
  2. Go and download the media creation tool from Microsoft: http://microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  3. Run MediaCreationTool.exe
  4. Click Upgrade this PC now
  5. Select Keep personal files and apps
  6. Let it install and when its done you will have the anniversary update
  7. Enjoy!
There must be an easier way than to remove everything, leaving only the shell of Win10. What are we to do the next time Microsoft sends out an overly large update.

Thank you Lee

I followed your guide and installed perfectly with 9gb free at the begining

I did not keep my files etc but did a clean install

"Make sure you have 8gb" of free space.    On my Lenovo with a 32gb drive getting to 8gb of free space is very, very difficult.  To get close, I must delete EVERYTHING from the computer that is not essential (Windows, Lenovo drivers for the trackpad, and all the other Lenovo drivers that let the computer function.

I used a microSD card to create a "Drive D that has 60gb of free space.  Windows refuses to use Drive D for the Anniversary update, and I have been unable to move any apps from Drive C to Drive D.

Why didn't Microsoft tell Lenovo that Windows 10 will NOT run well with on a 32gb drive?  It would have cost Lenovo about $5 to use a 64gb drive instead.

It work very well.

Lee Goodbrand replied (BIG thank you for the solution! It WORKS!)

Had the same problem and found the solution:

1. Make sure you have 8GB of free space
  2. Go and download the media creation tool from Microsoft: http://microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  3. Run MediaCreationTool.exe
  4. Click Upgrade this PC now
  5. Select Keep personal files and apps
  6. Let it install and when its done you will have the anniversary update
  7. Enjoy!

Thanks.  This method worked with my Lenovo laptop.  I downloaded and installed the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.  When I ran the tool selected the option to install on "this PC".  I had to remove all of my own apps to open 8gb of open space on my C Drive because Windows ignores my D Drive with 60gb of open space.

After installing the Anniversary update, my computer ran well for about 10 minutes and then the screen froze.  Each time I restarted the computer, the screen would freeze within a couple of minutes.

Luckily, the Lenovo has a tiny restore button next to the power  button.  By restarting with the Lenovo restore button, I was taken to a Lenovo menu with the option to reinstall Windows.  This time, a slightly older version of the Anniversary update was installed (14383.00 instead of this week's 14383.10).  This version runs well.

Oddly, I had only 8gb of  open space when I began this process.  When I finished the second install process, I had 15gb of open space, more than my Lenovo had on the day I first purchased it.  During the Anniversary installation, older versions of Windows 10 were removed and then I removed the 3.63gb of files left behind  by the failed installation of the Anniversary update to reach 15gb of open space.

With 15gb of open space,  the Lenovo is actually a useful computer, which was barely true when it had only 8gb of open space.

NOTE:  Because the first install of the Anniversary update froze my computer screen, I had to rely on the physical Lenovo restore button.  My Dell computer does not have a physical restore button, so I would have been in a difficult spot  if the Anniversary update had caused my Dell to freeze up.

I also have a 32Gb Lenovo and am interested in applying the Aniversary update. I have a Recovery Folder in the main C drive with a 3.4Gb file (USMT.PPKG). It says it's a Runtime provisioning tool, but I don't understand that.

Is there any reason why this file (or the whole folder) can't be temporarily moved to a USB for the upgrade and then moved back afterwards. This is over 10% of the drive, and there is a recovery partition which I assume is where the One Key recovery boots.

My only concern is that during the upgrade to V10584 from the supplied V10240, it needed a Boot repair. It managed to create a default boot entry to a Recovery/rollback process that didn't exist so I have to delete it and reinstate the C drive as a boot disc. The Recovery folder may have been linked to this, but I am not sure.

Any views or comments?

Thanks

Richard