Windows 10 Anniversary Update Error Code 0x8007042B-0x4000D

On my seventh attempt to get this farce of an update to install I reset the computer. When I had originally upgraded to W10, I promptly re-installed after activation; so my reset was to that fresh install, on which I performed sfc /scannow to check its integrity before attempting to install the update, using a USB created using Windows Media Creation Tool. I also uninstalled AntiVirus program, and had no USB devices connected except the one containing the update.

This resulted after 4 hours and an almost completed operation in Windows reverting to existing version with Error Code 0x8007042B-0x4000D "The Installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation". I then spent a happy(!) couple of hours restoring from image backups to where I had been before performing the Reset.

I know from a questionner on Microsoft Support that a clean boot does not do the trick.

What I fear is having that abortion of an "update" downloaded automatically when I am busy using the computer for work (I am using Windows 10 Home, so cannot pick and choose updates) and cannot spare another 6 hours on Microsoft's cockups (British English!). I cannot afford that, so I have disabled Windows Update in services.msc. However, it is not safe doing without updates for any length of time, so ideally I need a senior Microsoft expert who actually knows what he is doing, who instead of trotting out formula answers (such as suspend AntiVirus or clean boot) can give chapter and verse of how to make this thing work. Either that, or existing Windows 10 users should be able to download an ISO of the 1607 build to install from scratch.

I need an answer as fast as possible so I can resume protecting my computer with updates without risking downloading what is effectively junk.

Question Info

Last updated April 20, 2019 Views 17,278 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Odd, very odd! Windows 10 now shows as activated. What is going on with Microsoft?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Learning and conquering one of the Linux ditros seems to more flavorsome the more this Windows 10 Anniversary thing blunders along.....

Sorry this didn't help.

Very interesting...

I think when - or if - Microsoft can come up with a thousand times better way of updating Windows 10, then that will be a day to celebrate. For now we can celebrate being alive and on the planet, even with the unresolved issues about this Anniversary Update of Windows 10.

Reports are populating on the internet about the distress this current matter is bringing to many Windows 10 users.

Maybe we need to develop a club for the promotion of relaxation in the face of unresolved failures in this Anniv Update thing.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I've done for now: the deactivation scare has put me off further meddling. If, or more likely when, the automatic update makes it through my defences I'll have to start all over again, I suppose. Till then I'll just keep an eye on this thread. Good Luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue on a laptop. I assumed, that a virus scanner could be the reason. I made the upgrade from 1511 to 1607-Windows on several pc with Norton Security or Mcafee. I deactivated the software before upgrading - and it worked.

In this case Avast free Virus Scan was installed on the laptop. I deactivated it before upgrading, but this was not enough. I got the error code 0x8007042B-0x4000D in the second boot during migrate_data operation.

After that I deinstalled Avast and tried again - with success.

I heard, that Kaspersky Internet Security causes similar errors during the upgrade.

Sorry this didn't help.

Did anyone experience that error with Bitdefender too? Or better, did any Bitdefender

user succeeded in installing that odious update up to now? I did all (but first) attempts

with antivirus deactivated but I never completely uninstall it.

Sorry this didn't help.

VoSchuDa you've made me think! Although, as I have said above, I had uninstalled AntiVirus Apps before attempting the upgrade it occurred to me there might be another fly in the ointment. I had used McAfee when I first bought this Laptop in March 2015, but when I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 I promptly re-installed the O.S. but did not re-install McAfee - I had no intention of paying its inflated price! But Windows Defender mysteriously stopped working a day or two later, and having failed to restart it I simply installed Avira Free. Yesterday, I thought it would be a good idea to run McAfee's Consumer Products Removal Tool even though there should have been nothing to remove. However, there was and it spent about 20 minutes removing components that simply should never have been there. I have come to hate that company for that and other reasons - I have even had to block their emails since they will not take "no" for an answer.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, overnight my O.S has automatically updated to Build 1607! The moral of the story is - even if you don't think McAfee could be the problem, if it was offered free when you bought your machine, even if you did not install it, just run the Removal Tool and check that nothing is there that you don't know about. Incidentally, because this update took place overnight when I was not prepared, Avast free was both installed and on!

Now my only problem is, if I uninstall Avast (which I use now in preference to Avira) Windows Defender STILL thinks there is another AV app installed when there isn't, and I know from following those threads that no-one at Microsoft understands their own systems sufficiently to know what causes Error 577 to arise when it shouldn't! Heyho! But at least I have successfully updated to 1607, which was the original objective.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Thursdaycat.

Thought to mention that I have, after very many hours and trials with various possible fixes, been able to install the Win 10 Anniversary Update.

The System/About tab now says I have Version 1607 and that the OS build is 14393.51

The answer, for me, was to totally uninstall the Comodo Internet Security (Firewall and Antivirus software), reboot the computer, then use the downloaded ISO file to install the Win 10 Anniversary Update.

A couple of people who communicated with me from this site, mentioned this idea and it worked.  After successfully installing the W10 Anniv Update I then reinstalled the Comodo Internet Security software.

Thanks for contributing your thoughts - one does receive encouragement when others interact on issues like this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for sharing your insights....from which I gained a thought....and it worked!

Thought to mention that I have, after very many hours and trials with various possible fixes, been able to install the Win 10 Anniversary Update.

The System/About tab now says I have Version 1607 and that the OS build is 14393.51

The answer, for me, was to totally uninstall the Comodo Internet Security (Firewall and Antivirus software), reboot the computer, then use the downloaded ISO file to install the Win 10 Anniversary Update.

A couple of people who communicated with me from this site, mentioned this idea and it worked.  After successfully installing the W10 Anniv Update I then reinstalled the Comodo Internet Security software.

Thanks for contributing your thoughts - one does receive encouragement when others interact on issues like this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for sharing your insights....from which I gained a thought....and it worked!

Sorry this didn't help.