Windows 10 Anniversary Update Bootloop

I have a Lenovo T430 that I updated to the new anniversary update. After a few restarts, it got stuck on the black boot screen with the moving white circles in a ring and nothing else. I manually restarted it and the same thing happened. I manually restarted again and went into BIOS and looked for a way to boot into recovery mode or safe mode or something like that. Unfortunately, there was none to be found. I exited without saving changes. The boot screen with the white dots moving in the ring showed again, but this time with words saying "Restoring your previous version of Windows..." After a few minutes of that, it booted up to the previous version with no issues. I am afraid to update now, and would like to know when a fix will be made available. I contacted a Microsoft customer support assistant, who was very helpful. I don't think I'm the only one who has had this concern based on what she told me. Let me know if any of you guys comes up with a permanent fix or when you guys hear about a new update to the update being released. Thanks.

TLDR: Got new update to Windows 10. Got stuck in bootloop. Got lucky and Windows restarted back in old version. Hoping there is a fix soon.

Answer
Answer
I had the same experience installing the Anniversary update as coildspring51 did; installed great on one computer and failed on the other, getting stuck with the blank page with circle of spinning white dots.  I tried both method 1 and method 2 described by Akheel Ahmed and neither worked.  Even when installing with the USB key created by the Media Creation Tool I had the same problem.  I think the problem on my Acer was an error with one or more USB devices I had plugged into it during the upgrade.  After leaving the computer running for another several hours with the circle of spinning white dots and no movement whatsoever, I removed 3 different USB dongles which were used for wireless keyboards and mice and then did a hard shut down.  When the computer restarted, it detected the hard shutdown and went to "attempting to recover installation" and this time it picked up at 75% and resumed all the way through completion.  I hope this helps some of you who are having similar problems-- I recommend that you try removing all physical USB connections except your main, wired keyboard and mouse.  You can always reconnect them after the upgrade is complete.
Tech support you can trust!
www.alaskacomputerguy.com

52 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2020 Views 12,814 Applies to: