Windows 10 Anniversary - freezing/pausing

Yesterday, I upgraded three systems - one i7 desktop and two i7 notebooks - to Windows 10 Anniversary (from Windows 10, which were previously upgraded from Windows 7).  Silly me - as I was low on disk space afterwards, I did the disk cleanup and deleted all the old versions and install files. 

The i7 desktop started freezing up a lot - I checked the system logs and saw lots of I/O timeouts on the disk subsystem (Patriot Ignite 480GB SSD).  I rebooted, it seemed OK, so I downloaded the Patriot disk utility and updated the drive's firmware.  The drive toasted - the system won't boot, etc.  I'm trying to see if I can get Patriot Memory to replace the drive.

One of the notebooks (am writing this on) is an HP 2540p - i7 2.13GHz, 8GB RAM, Crucial C300 256GB SSD - have noticed pausing on as well.  Checked the system logs - see several instances of disk timeout, retries, and resets here as well. 

Log Name:      System
Source:        disk

The IO operation at logical block address 0x11f64b30 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\00000037) was retried.

Log Name:      System
Source:        storahci

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

I contacted Microsoft - they basically gave me the link to create the .ISO file (they claim it's the Anniversary edition, but I don't know yet) and said I could use my existing Win7 or later keys to activate Win10.  Never mind all the lost time or data, nor the toasted SSD (my fault, I suppose) involved. 

Based on what I am seeing on these two systems (third is same notebook as second, but with Intel X-18 160GB SSD vs the Crucial in this one - and I haven't checked it yet) - I would not advise anyone I know to do the update to Windows 10 Anniversary edition until this issue is understood/resolved. 

I'm also (one of the few) with Windows Phone 10 (Nokia Lumia Icon) - doubt I'll be updating it to the Anniversary edition any time soon.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 22, 2018 Views 6,579 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If you can't find more recent sata drivers for your board I would suggest rolling back and "deferring upgrades" in settings until they sort this out. This is what happens when they don't listen to insiders. Can't expect the average computer user to be willing to hunt down drivers over the net to fix a problem. I would suggest trying a 3rd party program like DRIVER BOOSTER only to see if it detects any more recent sata drivers for your board. Not a fan of 3rd party driver updaters though.

Like I said - was low on space on the laptop so had already deleted the install folders and roll back version.  Of the three PCs, the desktop's drive is toast.  The wife's laptop - she barely uses - so leaving it alone for now.  On mine, I'll either image or store off any data on this HP 2540p laptop (am sure it will be slow), create a restore point, and try to switch the mode of the storage driver from AHCI to IDE using regedit.  I occasionally hot swap in a 2tb drive that fits into the hot swap drive bay (DVD slot) of the laptop (that's what I back up to) - so in the future,  will have to make sure I do the drive swapping when the system is shut down.

Yes, you are right.  I'm three for three on the negative side of the Anniversary update - hope that most other's that do it aren't as affected.  THIS IS A BIG ISSUE  - hope that MS or Intel comes up with an updated driver for it soon.

Found a post on reddit - someone referenced an old fix from a couple of years ago on a Win8 system - gave give it a shot.  Essentially - go into the control panel, go into power settings, and change the power profile from moderate to high performance.  The assumption is that turning the PCI Link State Power Management to off (In the PCI Express section) can work around this.  Not ideal from a power point of view, but something to test.  I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with the AHCI drivers, maybe they can still be updated, or are different if you load Windows from an .ISO image (vs Windows Update).  We'll see.  Still - it seems to me - it's the storage drivers in some way or another that's causing the issues.  So far - no entries in the system log indicating resets, etc.  I suppose you could tweak that setting in the moderate profile as well - that's a next step.

Well, the moment I updated the sata driver the problem stopped. I have been running around Gotham in DCUO no freezing. Drive 2 is my gaming drive so every time it froze it was VERY noticeable. I read about the power changing fix. In the back of my mind I knew it had something to do with the drivers. I just figured MS would have it all sorted out in the final release. I recalled having a similar issue with a previous version of windows. I think you should just hunt down more recent sata drivers for your board and manually install them OR wait for a fix. You should have tested your system for stability issues before deleting the windows OLD folder.

I had looked at the drivers from Intel - they didn't look any newer from what I could tell, and the scan for new drivers didn't pick them up when they were sitting there either.  I'll double check their site again.

I checked the wife's laptop.  No errors in the system log at all - but there were a few differences.  Her Win7 system was installed much later - and not upgraded as much as mine (but the driver versions were the same).  It was also running the high performance power profile, vs mine running the balanced plan.  She's also running the Intel X-18 160GB SSD vs mine running on a Crucial C300 256GB one.  I switched her to the balanced profile, verified the link state power settings were enabled and rebooted and started running a virus scan - didn't notice any pauses or log file entries though.    We'll see.

I switched mine back to the balanced power profile with the tweak for the PCI Express Link State Power Settings to OFF - so far - no problems or log entries.

> You should have tested your system for stability issues before deleting the windows OLD folder.

I can't help but agree with you - but I hadn't...  Like I said - was pretty low on space on the SSD (I'm a early retired PC support person, playing with this stuff gives me something to do...  ;-)  )

Even with the PCI Express power thing set to off - the problem eventually reoccurred.  Switching to the high performance power profile for now...
Not surprised......honestly I wouldn't consider changing power settings as being a fix even if it had worked. Only solution is to get to the root of the problem which appears to be driver related. Still haven't had a single freeze up since I updated the sata driver.

I had the same issue with a crucial c300 and the windows 10 anniversary update. It looks like the crucial c300 has an issue with LPM (link power management; just google for "crucial c300 lpm") that can be resolved if you turn off the LPM for the c300.

This is what I have done to resolve the issue. I am assuming you are still using the MS driver and not the Intel one:

1. open regedit.exe

1a. export HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\ (in case something goes wrong...)

2. go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device

3. locate the key with the name "NoLPM" (of type REG_MULTI_SZ)

4. double click on the key. This key will already have some entries (I got 8)

5. add a new line with the text "C300-CTFDDAC128MAG*" (without the quotes). The text C300-CTFDDAC128MAG must match what you see in the device manager as the name of your disk. Since you have a 256 GB disk this text will be different (maybe CTFDDAC256MAG?)

6. close regedit

7. reboot windows

8. enjoy :)

Wulf - thank you for joining the Microsoft Community to post this - it is deeply appreciated.

I saw your post shortly after you posted it - it makes perfect sense considering what legwork myself and Darkgamer have found. 

The string for my drive is similar to what you discussed - it is C300-CTFDDAA256MAG, so I entered it to match the existing entries with the * on the end.  I returned the power profile back to original and ensured it was "max power savings" on battery - and rebooted the system on battery power alone.

Darkgamer - I never considered changing the power profile as a "fix" - only as a workaround until a new driver could be found.  Wulf's experience with the Crucial 300 drive explains the issue - not sure if would ever be fixed with a firmware update (unlikely, but who knows) as it is a relatively old drive, and I doubt any driver fix would resolve this short of creating the drive exception entry like he and I both did.

Regardless - this is a good example of how support forums should work.  I've passed along the suggestion of the workaround in a few other places - will follow up with the new information from here.

Just rechecked the logs - was getting entries about every two minutes when it was acting up - still nothing logged in the time it took me to write this.

Again - thank you both for your assistance.  I hope this string helps out others.

-Dale in Cupertino (and no - I've never been a Mac person ;-) )

I just created an account just for this, as I've been struggling for the last few days.

I even re-installed the anniversary upgrade from an ISO, to see if it was some sort of incompatibility due to the ugrade process.

In my case, I've got 2 warnings repeating forever.

The IO operation at logical block address 0xf6ae0e0 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\00000030) was retried.

and

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

I've changed the power profile to High performance, to see if it makes any difference..