Windows 10 Anniversary - freezing/pausing

Yesterday, I upgraded three systems - one i7 desktop and two i7 notebooks - to Windows 10 Anniversary (from Windows 10, which were previously upgraded from Windows 7).  Silly me - as I was low on disk space afterwards, I did the disk cleanup and deleted all the old versions and install files. 

The i7 desktop started freezing up a lot - I checked the system logs and saw lots of I/O timeouts on the disk subsystem (Patriot Ignite 480GB SSD).  I rebooted, it seemed OK, so I downloaded the Patriot disk utility and updated the drive's firmware.  The drive toasted - the system won't boot, etc.  I'm trying to see if I can get Patriot Memory to replace the drive.

One of the notebooks (am writing this on) is an HP 2540p - i7 2.13GHz, 8GB RAM, Crucial C300 256GB SSD - have noticed pausing on as well.  Checked the system logs - see several instances of disk timeout, retries, and resets here as well. 

Log Name:      System
Source:        disk

The IO operation at logical block address 0x11f64b30 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\00000037) was retried.

Source:        storahci

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

I contacted Microsoft - they basically gave me the link to create the .ISO file (they claim it's the Anniversary edition, but I don't know yet) and said I could use my existing Win7 or later keys to activate Win10.  Never mind all the lost time or data, nor the toasted SSD (my fault, I suppose) involved. 

Based on what I am seeing on these two systems (third is same notebook as second, but with Intel X-18 160GB SSD vs the Crucial in this one - and I haven't checked it yet) - I would not advise anyone I know to do the update to Windows 10 Anniversary edition until this issue is understood/resolved. 

I'm also (one of the few) with Windows Phone 10 (Nokia Lumia Icon) - doubt I'll be updating it to the Anniversary edition any time soon.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This latest update totally crashed my 6 month old Dell laptop that was working fine until yesterday. Dell is now have to reset my laptop. Losing Programs and Data. Make sure you have everything backed up before proceeding with this "Anniversary" update

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

"Log Name:      System
Source:        disk

The IO operation at logical block address 0x11f64b30 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\00000037) was retried.

Source:        storahci

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued."

I reported this problem 3 or 4 times while testing insider builds as well as others. I have an FX8320 and 5 drives 2 of which are SSDs. My drives would constantly freeze/read slow and I would get the exact same error messages in event viewer. THE SOLUTION THAT I FOUND was to update the  SATA controller drivers which I manually had to do through device manager/AMD chipset drivers. Since then my drives have been working decently with no freezes/error messages. I reported this problem more than a few times and knew it wasn't my system since everything ran smoothly every time I rolled back. My advice to anyone reading this with the same problem would be to first try updating your SATA drivers. I knew this was going to be a problem once this update released.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Looking on the HP Elitebook 2540p notebook now that reported the system log entry above.

Not sure about how to update these drivers, search for updated drivers said I had the most current version.  FYI - it appears the driver version for this was part of the MS Install. 

Storage Controllers:  Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller,   Device Provider: Microsoft,  Driver Date: 06/21/2006, Driver Version 10.0.14393.0, Driver Signer: Microsoft Windows

The AHCI driver is: Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\storahci.sys (10.0.14393.0, 128.34 KB (131,424 bytes), 7/16/2016 4:41 AM)

The storage controller driver is from 2006?  And it has the same version # as the storahci driver?   I would have thought MS would have updated this along the way - perhaps it was inherited from the original Win7 install, then grandfathered to Win10, and into Win10 Anniversary?  I'll start looking for newer ones if I can find them somewhere.  Perhaps Intel has some for the chipset in the HP, but I don't see anything new on their site.

Thanks DarkgamerX - you gave me somewhere to start looking.  MS - if you're reading this - I think this is something that needs to be looked at ASAP.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My previous SATA drivers had the exact same date. I looked for newer ones for my motherboard but did not find any on the ASUS website so I went to AMDs site and looked for chipset drivers for 9series motherboards. Just try looking for more recent compatible SATA drivers for your board. I tried clean installs with insider redstone builds and they all had the same ancient drivers and the same freezing problem. I never had to manually update the default drivers to get things working properly which is why this problem had me rolling back to the public build. I find it difficult to believe that this problem made its way into the final release. One guy who reported it had 11 upvotes so you would think they would have at least acknowledged it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The laptop uses the Intel QM57 (IbexPeak-M) chipset.  Can't find anything new driver-wise on Intel's website, and nothing past Win7 available on HP's site.  Running the latest driver update package from late 2015 on Intel's site can't find anything to update.

Only thing I really see as an option from web searching is to tweak the registry to go from AHCI to IDE mode, then shutdown and switch the settings in BIOS to go to IDE.  Not quite ready to go there yet - hopefully MS (or Intel) will come up with a newer driver or something - can't believe this isn't going to cause them a huge amount of grief going forward.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried updating the driver manually? Find the sata driver in device manager and click on "update driver software". Click on "browse my computer for driver software" and browse to where the driver is located. Include subfolders should also be checked. From there if a sata driver is in the package it should be updated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried updating the driver manually? Find the sata driver in device manager and click on "update driver software". Click on "browse my computer for driver software" and browse to where the driver is located. Include subfolders should also be checked. From there if a sata driver is in the package it should be updated.

Yes - I tried that - for both the Storage Controllers \ Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller driver and the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers \ Standard SATA AHCI Controller tree - started with C:\ and include subdirs.  Had even extracted the files out of the most likely Intel driver update and had them in a subdirectory off the root - didn't find anything there either.  It's getting annoying - some of the pauses are a few seconds, the longest being 30 seconds.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And are you constantly getting the same error messages in event viewer which look something like this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As you can see since the driver update no drive error messages.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like this....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated April 26, 2021 Views 13,429 Applies to: