Windows 10 an unexpected i/o error has occured file:\Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc00000e9

Split from this thread.

Hi,

This error message: An unexpected I/O error has occurred. Status: (0Xc00000e9) is a hardware error pertaining to your system’s BIOS. Basically it is telling you that the computer is not able to reliably communicate with the hard drive.

Method 1:
Step 1:
I would suggest you to run the Automatic Repair Tool from Windows Recovery and check.

a) Boot from the disk, Once you get the welcome screen of installation with the option “Install now”
b) Click on Repair your computer
c) On the next page click on Advanced Options
d) Now click on Troubleshoot
e) Lastly click on Automatic repair and follow the on screen instructions.

Step 2: I would suggest you to run sfc/scan and check.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. When the scan is complete, the System File Checker tool indicates whether integrity violations were found. If integrity violations are found, the System File Checker tool lets you fix the integrity violations.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2: I would suggest you to rebuilt BCD. To do this, follow these steps:

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

a) Boot from the disk, Once you get the welcome screen of installation with the option “Install now”
b) Click on Repair your computer
c) On the next page click on Advanced Options
c. Click on Troubleshoot and then select Advanced Options.
d. Click on Command prompt and type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

Bootrec /fixmbr
Bootrec /fixboot
Bootrec /rebuildbcd

e. Restart the computer.

Let us know if it helps.  If the issue persists, reply, we will be happy to help you.

I have a Gateway with Windows7 which I upgraded online to the free Windows 10.  I'm not able to do any of the steps because my computer keep blacking out and showing error. Do I use the same recovery method?

Question Info

Last updated September 18, 2019 Views 24,519 Applies to:

Hello,

If you are unable to do any of the steps above because your computer keeps showing the error message, we suggest that you repair your PC using an installation USB or disc. If you do not have a Windows 10 installation USB or disc, you can download and create one from the Microsoft software download website. To create an installation media and use it to repair your computer, follow the steps below:

1. On a working PC, go to the Microsoft software download website.
  2. Download the media creation tool and then run it.
  3. Select Create installation media for another PC.
  4. Choose a language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit).
  5. Follow the steps to create installation media, and then select Finish.
  6. Connect the installation media you created to your nonfunctional PC, and then turn it on.
  7. On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next. If you're not seeing the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.
  8. Select Repair your computer. You will then be able to perform Startup Repair to repair your PC.
  9. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Repair.

Keep us updated with the results.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am getting this error while booting from the USB drive.  I am not able to get to the  boot screen past this error. 

How do I try any of the Repair options if I am not able to boot from USB?

Thanks

Guru

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Guru,

The error code 0Xc00000e9 may be connected to a possible hard drive failure in Windows or if the Boot Manager is missing or disabled. You may follow the troubleshooting steps provided by Sayan_Ghosh in this thread.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you need further assistance.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you all for taking time to respond to community questions.

The failing laptop has a SD drive and I am surprised that it would have a hardware failure; its just about 14 month old.  Anyway I tried to recycle power to SSD by removing the back cover, disconnecting battery and leave it in that state for 20 mins.

I am confused about the cause of the failure while booting from a USB bootable drive.  Even assuming I have a bad SSD hard drive, why would the boot sequence fail with this error while starting from a USB ISO image? Even if its not able to read the SSD, shouldn't the windows setup sequence show that as a non-reachable drive?

Thanks

Guru

Sorry this didn't help.

Failure to boot using the USB drive may happen if there is an issue with your laptop's SSD being damaged or the ISO file on your USB drive is corrupted.

To further isolate the issue, we suggest that you re-download the ISO image from here. Also make sure that the boot sequence in your PC's BIOS has the USB drive as its first boot source.

Please note that modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Keep us updated with the status of this concern and we'll be glad to assist you further

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi im also experiencing the same issues,I took out my hard drive on my laptop and put it on my pc and it works fine but when I put it back on laptop I get the unexpected I/O error and now im not sure what could be the problem

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Based on the information that you have provided, it seems that you may also need to have the BIOS checked. In this case, we would like to recommend that you get in touch with your device manufacturer for better assistance.

Feel free to reach out to the community if you have other questions in mind.

Best regards.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.