Windows 10 1809 update deleted all files from Documents!

Last night I updated to 1809, and it all went smoothly, but then I find that all my files in Documents are DELETED. Gone. Poof. This included many crucial documents and financial info. Yes, I have a backup (I think - using Windows Backup to a NAS). But this is pretty bad. Did no one in the first two rings run into this yet?

I understand (from the news) that this happens to all files in Documents that aren't synced to OneDrive. Further, the Documents folder is really an agglomeration of "Documents" from several different paths - not sure how that works, and it may or may not relate.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2018 Views 17,609 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

help me fix this ??

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi and Thanks Bulldog.

Well yes. My bad for not checking the backups. I have been pretty good about backups most of my career - I remember backing up up old PDP-11s to mag tape, watching the reels spin and the tension arms dance. Hey - PDP-8s too. And hand carrying the tape reels off site. But I guess I dropped the ball on this one!

But I (thought I) had it set up to get the backups off-site: "Backup" used a NAS as its target, and 1.7Tb is consumed by its backup files. Then on the NAS (a small Synology system) I had (still have) a chron job for weekly backups to Amazon Glacier, which takes a couple of days each week.

Now, it seems that my Documents files are being mirrored to OneDrive as well. And my financial data (Quicken) is also "backing up" to DropBox. Too many clouds!

OK, next task is to review backup programs... sigh.

Happy trails!

Sorry this didn't help.

After the Geek Squad trying to help, I took my laptop into the nearest MS retail store.  Yesterday they got my permission to send my drive off to their lab for deep work to try and recover anything. Although the store at first did not know what to do (claiming corporate did not advise them) they jumped to help me and got all this going before Level 3 ever called (Oct 13) me back. I dread trying to recreate my financial info. Will post any updates I get.

Sorry this didn't help.

Bro, the most compensation you're going to get from Microsoft is "we apologize for the inconvenience ..."

There's no doubt that Microsoft scr*wed up v.1809. That's especially true once you understand what went wrong. It was completely avoidable. That said, there are things you could have done to prevent the damage, and while they may not meet the legal definition of 'contributory negligence' you owe yourself a small kick in the pants. Just a small one ... for not paying enough attention.

Microsoft actually doesn't have a utility that backs up all your files at the same time. To do that, you need a third-party backup program. Let's go over what Windows 10 has - and what it really is:

Backup and Restore (Windows 7)  - was included in Windows 10 so that people who used that utility in Windows 7 to make a backup can restore their backup in Windows 10. It's not supported for making new backups. Microsoft should have made that clearer. There's no guarantee that it will work properly to make a backup, and when it doesn't work there's no official solution.

File History - was designed to backup individual files at regular intervals over time. It wasn't built to compete with a real backup program, that backs up all your files at once and has many more features than File History. File History is for "oops ... I liked the old version of my speech better."

System Image Builder - was an image backup program that Microsoft abandoned with the Fall Creators Update. They didn't say exactly why, so here's my guess: There's so much excellent image backup software available from organizations that specialize in this technology, that Microsoft said "why re-create the wheel?"

So if you wanted backup - real backup that you can count on - you needed a real backup program. Like you, I learned this lesson the hard way. (It seems I learn everything the hard way.) But here's what I learned:

There is nothing obvious or intuitive about a computer.

In context: If something has 'backup' in its name, that doesn't mean you can rely on it to do everything you think a backup program should do. You need to find out exactly what it means and what it does. Another example: Anyone who thinks that System Restore will actually restore their system has a big surprise coming.

And once you have your backup program - or any other program - up and running, you have to check it from time to time to see if it's still doing what you expected it to do. Because software changes behind your back, and that's true of anybody's software.

When it comes to backup, the whole idea is to store your backups some place that's not on your computer, so if when something terrible happens to your computer, you still have your backup.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Everyone:

As I'm manually trying to re-enter all my financial info from the paper records (and my memory), I'm hoping for some sort of compensation from Microsoft on this one - I'm guessing I have over 100 hours to recreate my financial data - how about comping us a couple of years of the "Windows as a Service" subscription? Or a few shares of MSFT? Not a happy camper here...

There were really two bugs - both Microsoft's: (1) this data deletion bug that's the subject of this thread, and (2) Microsoft's "Backup" program not working - it was enabled in Settings, and set for "Every Hour", but it had quietly stopped working back in February. That was the crucial failure.

Grumble.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft practise a very bad customer service around this update. It took many days to admit the problem and customer service were unable to provide support..

Instead they used the tactic that we customers have made wrong things.

Admit that you have problems and inform about progress in mending the systems.

In my case I lost the adressbook / contacts in Outlook..

Kind regards Per Randgaard

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I think you'll just have to wait.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried many non-remedies

Sorry this didn't help.

It looks like you have the version/build for that update, perhaps you need to wait for it to be offered via windows update.

You could download it again to be sure it's not corrupted and be sure you have the download that corresponds with your build.

Sorry this didn't help.

The windows version I am using

Sorry this didn't help.