Win 10 CRITICAL ERROR: Your start menu isn't working ..... etc etc

Did upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 Pro.  Process seemed flawless.  Time consuming yes, but seemed fine.  (HP All in One touchscreen, I7, 8gb Ram)

First problem I noticed:  no Cortana, One drive initialized then disappeared, could no longer find one drive in

file explorer. 

Before I tried anything to look into the mossing cortana/onedrive issue this I got a popup from AMD catalyst saying that there was an update which needed to be installed.  Thinking this might be related, I ran the upgrade updating Catalyst app and drivers.  Thinking this might be the isssue.  I Uninstalled catalyst earlier today ... no changes.

Red Herring????

went to START to look for one drive to manually start, clicking STARTresults in blue error box with message:  Critical Error:  Your start menu isn't working.  We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. 

Clicked on RESTART (the option in the error box) and nothing was different when I logged back in.   Googled around, this morning, tried a possible fix of going to Safe Mode, then adding a new user, starting as new user.  The add user process was not available, not choice for add a new local user.  no way to add a new user. 

Looked over recovery options ... thought I might try the revert to 8.1 ... but it said I might lose some of the appsi had installed there.  I DO NOT want to lose those apps.  what's the experience with reversion?  lose your installed apps???

Is this a pervasive problem of just a problem for a few people???   Will there be a fix?    What can I do other than to give up.

I have Win 10 Preview running for many months and have Build 10240 (the final good version?) running under parallels on a Mac book Air.   no issues.   Have a Win 7 virtual machine also running, which is upgradable to win 10 .... think I'll wait on that upgrade.

Any thoughts here?   Anything I can do not to lose all the apps I have installed? 

Thanks for aly help!!!

Cheers!!

Paul Benoit

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Dropbox did not cause me a problem at all.  However, I did uninstall a couple of old map file applications from a GPS that I no longer use, and surprisingly that seemed to fix it, so far.  Personally I don't think it has anything to do with which application you uninstall, but it might be something in the directory structure or registry that gets reset when you uninstall something?  This is the second time that I have had it mysteriously appear, and mysteriously disappear after a couple of days.  None of the so-called fixes on the independent help sites have been of any use whatsoever.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

i cannot believe that uninstalling dropbox actually worked! i have never been so aggravated with an inanimate object in my life. windows 10 was working so great and then BAM! no help from microsoft, tried nearly every work-around suggested on this board - some worked for a day or two - but this one little thing worked. fingers and toes crossed that the fix is for keeps. was seriously thinking of buying a mac since we use them at work, but my husband doesn't do well with change! maybe i'll stick with a new windows machine after all.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i cannot believe that uninstalling dropbox actually worked! i have never been so aggravated with an inanimate object in my life. windows 10 was working so great and then BAM! no help from microsoft, tried nearly every work-around suggested on this board - some worked for a day or two - but this one little thing worked. fingers and toes crossed that the fix is for keeps. was seriously thinking of buying a mac since we use them at work, but my husband doesn't do well with change! maybe i'll stick with a new windows machine after all.

Based on recent people's experiences re Dropbox I uninstalled it and windows 10 worked normally. Chrome then stopped working giving a critical memory error. Using Explorer I reinstalled Chrome and Dropbox and everything now works normally .... so far.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Uninstalling dropbox did it for me.. wow.

Gr,

Martijn

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can confirm - uninstalling Dropbox restored the menu albeit with far fewer entries than before. I was able to reinstall Dropbox successfully and keep my diminished Start menu. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Removing DropBox worked for me too.  Now to see if this is a true handle on the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried removing Dropbox, but no changes.  The start menu error is still there. UGH. Thank you for the tips.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This problem seems to come and go.  It's not a corrupted user account because that wouldn't fix itself.  Uninstalling things sometimes seems to fix it, but not necessarily.  People have said uninstalling Dropbox cured it, but others, myself included have had it go away without touching dropbox.  Others swear that uninstalling Avast fixes it, but I've never had Avast.  I'm now on my third spontaneous "fix".  I believe that some intermittent condition or action is causing some key file or index to be unavailable.  MSFT is going to have to identify the real cause, not just tell people how to do a temporary fix, and do a real fix.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This problem is not going away.  So far (after doing an image restore) my computer is ok.  My wife however wants to reinstall drop box.  I will keep you posted.  I am now logging on with the principal user which was set up years ago when I first installed windows 7 (64). Previously I was logging on using a secondary user although with full administrative privileges.

So far I see this as a problem with drop box or a recent windows update.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this same problem after upgrading my installation of Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Like others have indicated the problem would seem to go away on it's on but later it would reoccur.  Finally I did a clean install of Windows 10 (instead of the upgrade) and the problem has not popped up again since.  It'seems been at least a couple of months since I'ever had to deal with this problem so it was well worth the time and effort it took to perform the clean install. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 10, 2020 Views 68,431 Applies to: