Will my Window 10 apps continue to update or download on sleep or hibernation mode?

Would be nice if I can do it while I am asleep at night so I would not have to do it during the day. Thanks!

Hello Kristyn,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern in this regard.

Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.

Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk, and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.

Let me confirm that, when you put your PC to Sleep or Hibernate Mode, then system will automatically releases the network connection. I mean in both cases system will gets disconnected with the network and then regains when you wake it up. So there no possibility to update or download anything during Sleep or in Hibernate Mode.

However, Windows Updates or Store app Updates won't get interrupted if you shutdown your PC or make it to sleep or Hibernate in middle. System will pause the updates, and will resume the update when your PC up and running with network connection. This process will go in background.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

330 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

My computer activated while in sleep mode about an hour ago and then restarted when I reactivated it.  It said it was downloading an update.  I have Windows 10.  I wondered if it was a update or someone installing a virus or something.  Ron

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ron,

This thread has been created on 2015 and was previously resolved. There has been a lot of changes in Windows since then and the resolution provided here may not be applicable anymore. Hence, we recommend you to create your own thread regarding your concern for assistance from our community.

Feel free to send us your feedback at your convenience.

Regards.

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 46,087 Applies to: