We couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes. Don’t turn off your computer

hello folks yesterday (03/08/2015) only I installed windows 10 pro 64 bit edition on my pc and after one day (04/08/2015) when i was updating windows and pc restarted by windows after some time it shows the error

"We couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes. Don’t turn off your computer"

and after windows was logged in I checked the update history and it shows the error

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070003: Security Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3074683).

I tried to do it again for 6-8 times but nothing happend

kindly help me it will be very helpfull thanks in advance

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2019 Views 2,909 Applies to:

Hi Fernando,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the inconvenience caused.

Please answer the following got us to troubleshoot the issue better:

1. Are you getting this error while trying to install the updates?

2. Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

This issue may arise when there are issues with the Windows update components. Try the following methods to fix the issue.

Method 1: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter

Try to run the Windows update troubleshooter, it will detect and resolve the most common issues with the Windows updates. To do so, follow the link below. You may also follow some other common solutions on the same articles.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues

Method 2: Reset Windows Update components

If the issue is with the Windows update components, this method will resolve the issue by repairing all the components associated with it. Click on the link below and follow the article on the same.

How do I reset Windows Update Components?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Hope this information was helpful. Please reply with the results. I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Fernando,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the inconvenience caused.

Please answer the following got us to troubleshoot the issue better:

1. Are you getting this error while trying to install the updates?

2. Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

This issue may arise when there are issues with the Windows update components. Try the following methods to fix the issue.

Method 1: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter

Try to run the Windows update troubleshooter, it will detect and resolve the most common issues with the Windows updates. To do so, follow the link below. You may also follow some other common solutions on the same articles.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues

Method 2: Reset Windows Update components

If the issue is with the Windows update components, this method will resolve the issue by repairing all the components associated with it. Click on the link below and follow the article on the same.

How do I reset Windows Update Components?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Hope this information was helpful. Please reply with the results. I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

hi Ruth Buruga,

yes i was getting this error while trying to install the updates

and i didn't make any changes to the computer prior to the issue

and the solution you provided in Method 2

(How do I reset Windows Update components) when i run automatic program it shows this the file i am attaching it

Issues found Service registration is missing or corrupt Not fixed Reset service registration Completed Potential issues that were checked Windows Update environment variables are incorrect Issue not present Some security settings are missing or have been changed Issue not present Check for missing or corrupt files Issue not present Issues found < Service registration is missing or corrupt Not fixed Reset service registration Completed Potential issues that were checked Windows Update environment variables are incorrect Issue not present Some security settings are missing or have been changed Issue not present Check for missing or corrupt files Issue not present Detection details Service Status Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. Collection information Computer Name: PREMSOOD Windows Version: 10.0 Architecture: x64 Time: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 9:22:55 PM Publisher details Background Intelligent Transfer Service Find and fix problems that may prevent background downloads from working Package Version: 1.2.1.20140627 Publisher: Microsoft Corporation Windows Update Find and fix problems with Windows Update Package Version: 8.1.1.20140627 Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

Sorry this didn't help.

Dude, what is wrong with you. Such a long passage? Really? Anyways, I am having the same issue. "We could not install the update. Undoing changes." Then it restarts. Them comes a message, "Configuring Windows". The cycle repeats indefinitely just like earth revolves around the sun indefinitely. The system has crashed. The problem is that while updating, the system goes into sleep mode. Any help to restore my pc wil be highly appreciated. Plus these automatic updates makes our system unusable for hours. Who is responsible for it?

Sorry this didn't help.

Satish, yours is a different issue , not this same as prem26 is having. He has the same issue I have with is about the update tool not having the correct authorisation, yours is an issue around the reboots and going into sleep mode. You'd be better starting you own thread so they can deal with that one for you else you might not get the answer you need

Sorry this didn't help.

Any update on this Ruth please?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found a fix that worked for me:

Step 1. Click inside the Cortana search box and type regedit. When "Regedit / Run command" appears at the top of the list, press Enter. (Or you can click or tap.)

Step 2. Inside regedit, on the left, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Step 3. Important! Back up the registry key. With ProfileList highlighted, click File, Export. Choose a location (like your desktop) and type in a name (like ProfileListBeforeIBrokeIt) and press Save.

Step 4. On the left, you'll see a list of profile IDs, most likely including S-1-5-18, S-1-5-19, S-1-5-20, and several more with much longer names. Chances are good one of them represents a bad profile that should've been deleted.

Step 5. Click on each of the long-name profiles in turn, and look on the right for ProfileImagePath. If any of the entries in ProfileList point to a ProfileImagePath that doesn't make sense, right-click on the profile ID and choose Delete.

Step 6. "X" out of regedit. Reboot your machine. If something goes horribly wrong, double-click on the file you created in Step 3 to restore the Registry. (You can try the whole process over again, but choose a different ProfileList.) If all is well, click Start, Settings, Update & Security. KB 3081424 should be there, and will most likely start installing again while you're watching.

Sorry this didn't help.