W10 System Image Backup

When I use the W10 System Image Backup, it hangs at the step where it says it is "Preparing to create backup" and eventually times out leaving error codes 0x80780021 and 0x81000101.  How do I fix this?  My machine is Dell XP13, Core I7, 8th Gen, 500 SSD and the hard drive is encrypted, but the backup says it will save an unencrypted version on my external backup hard drive.
Built-in File History, Windows Backup and Image Backup are having a lot of problems and may be phased out soon. For automated backup I'd use a better, more flexible app like free Macrium which just works.
File backup: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/B...
Image backup: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-re...

In addition I'd have a secondary cloud backup that keeps your files safest from fire and theft:

You can drag 5gb for free into OneDrive app to store in the cloud where they are safe from fire and theft.

If you install Google Drive, you can use their new Backup to choose User folders (Documents, Pictures, etc.) to sync up to 15g for free to their cloud.

Or you can also drag or copy them to a USB external or flash drive.
Here's how to drag, copy or move large groups of files: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2086566/the-man...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the lead on alternate software for creating a system image.  I will try it as I get a chance.  Seems like it would be a great solution.  I don't like the idea of only saving files and pictures on the cloud.  There are a lot of companies that offer a cloud but are usually undersized or get cancelled and I lose everything.  Also, if I get a ransomware attack, Windows doesn't work and it is too much trouble to re-install Windows then go through all the work of updating it and re-storing the my links and settings.   Best to just restore an image.

Appreciate your help!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I suggested the best cloud options from Microsoft and Google which aren't going anywhere and offer enough for free for most users. This puts the files out of reach of fire and theft which on-site backup doesn't.

FYI you can also extract files from images in these programs if you only need those.

Let us know if there's anything else.

If not then you can mark the post which helped most as the Answer, to help others.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This did not work.  Macrium Reflect System Image Creator gave an error message that VSS had a sharing violation 0x80042316 and 0x80042301 and crashed.  As usual, the error message is nebulous and gives no idea how to correct.  This approach looks like a big time suck.  May take me days to resolve things.  In the meantime, I have real work to do.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is this the error you're getting? https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7...

Do you have other performance problems that might be causing both imaging programs to fail?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes,  that is the info in the error log file.  I am not aware that Windows Update was running.  I don't think it was.  My backup disk did have some backup files created by W10 as part of its create system image feature, but I put the VSS and other Macrium files in a different destination folder.  When I exited the Windows backup feature, I would think that VSS was no longer sharing it, so Macrium should have been the only user of VSS.  Maybe this is why the Windows Backup does not work for me anymore.  Maybe I should restore an earlier backup that I successfully created with Windows System Image Backup.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't noticed any other performance issue, so that is why I decided to get a fresh backup.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is the first time I can remember hearing reports of Macrium failing. Normally it just works.

Another way to run Macrium is make the rescue disk (needed anyway for restore when Windows won't start) and then create the image from the booted media when Windows isn't running and can't interfere.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 6, 2019 Views 134 Applies to: