Updates (KB3194496 and KB3176936) - Reboot Hangs

For the last two days (Sept 28th/29th), it seems like the Windows 10 updates have hung my two computers.  After the updates, the reboot goes on forever and rebooting into the Safe Mode provides no insight as to what is going south.  The Event log has no indications as to what is going wrong on the reboot.  I am not sure what got me out of KB3176936 other than image restore to a working state the day before and even though the problem persisted after that image restore, going thru a Reflect "fix Windows boot problem" did I finally get the computer up and running.  Now it looks like my Surface Pro 3 is in an infinite "Getting Windows ready" notice after updating with KB3194496 after the second reboot that I manually initiated after the update reboot brought up the Surface with no problems.  So why after the second reboot is the Surface attempting to Getting Windows ready which looks like it will go on forever?  One big question I have is, What does one normally do to find out why Windows won't boot properly after getting the computer into the Safe Mode?  I can't believe it is a software issue since the system restore to a previous working state doesn't solve the problem.  I have to think it is a hardware problem but all the HP desktop diagnostics find nothing wrong.  Turning on boot logging in the Safe Mode and looking thru all the logs tells me nothing but I am not a Windows expert so the 10,000 lines of diagnostics provides no insight either.  Again what is a debug plan once I get the machines into the Safe Mode with Networking?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

my KB3194496 issue is even worse- I cannot restore the system  because of constant reboot. Toshiba Sattelite

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I finally got my PC to reboot by going in to Safe Mode and running Device Manager and uninstalling all the USB drivers. I think the USB driver for my external monitor causes the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

I cannot get to safe mode - that's the problem. I hear beep when pressing f8 key followed by reboot.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just now the above update has been installed on my PC without any problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no repeatable way of getting into the Safe Mode from Windows 10; at least, that I've been able to find.  I can get to the machine's boot options and sometimes selecting the Windows Boot Manager option will give me a screen where I can chose various Safe Mode options but at other times this doesn't work at all.  If the machine thinks it has been powered down incorrectly, it will give me the Safe Mode options otherwise the best I can do is boot to my rescue media boot disk.  This is a big problem for me since the Safe Mode works every time but I can not find out why booting into my full Windows 10 configuration seems to be a random hardware failure.  I think it was only the fickle finger of fate that after doing the last two Windows 10 cumulative updates I would end up in an infinite boot loop.   I don't necessarily think it is the two last updates per se but I know for sure that trying the KB3194496 update twice resulted in an never ending boot where the little circle just rotated and rotated having let it go for 4 hours the last time.  Yet restoring to the last working configuration sometimes solved the problem and sometimes it didn't so I think I am dealing with a random hardware failure.  So that remains the big question, how do I find out what is causing the problem when I am in the Safe Mode (if I can get into it)?  I've played with the Device Manager which sometimes pointed to a possible problem but again it wasn't a consistent solution since sometime the next day I am back to the little circle going round and round and round.............  It is time to buy a new machine since I can't waste my entire life trying to figure how the non-repeatable operations of Windows 10 with a 5-year old desktop especially since they've taken away all the good tools.

Sorry this didn't help.

I get my computer into safe mode by turning my computer off as soon as the windows logo pops up and on the 3rd try it boots into a mode where I can troubleshoot and reboot into safe mode.

Sorry this didn't help.

That might be a way of doing it since I find that a power up/down error code (0xc0000001) has to be generated in order to back into the Safe Mode.  I guess pulling the power plug might be another way.  So it is totally stupid that you can't get into the Safe Mode except by stupid mechanisms.  I spent 3 hours researching this and ended up building a Windows 10 Recovery Disk (Windows ISO ??) which was supposed to get to Repair Your Computer -->  Startup Settings when booting off the system recovery bootable DVD.  Guess what?  It doesn't work for SSDs (solid state drives) since the Startup Settings screen was missing.  Otherwise it was a good posting titled "Rescue Files when Windows Won't Start" in the Microsoft Community under Windows 10 area which leads you to creating an installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) using MediaCreationTool.exe 

I've turned off automatic Windows updates (Defer Updates) since for reasons beyond my pay grade, there is something about rebooting from an update that is different from nominal restarts.  The reboots from the updates causes my machine to end up with the little circle rotating for "infinity and beyond".  So even though the updates for the last week have caused the problem, I don't think it is the updates themselves but something they do that causes my computer to refuse to boot into the full Windows 10 environment but works fine in the Safe Mode if I can figure out how to generate the power up error code  (0xc0000001) that will allow me to get into the Safe Mode .  The other part of my problem is that I can find no discernable way to determine the root cause while in the Safe Mode unless I know what the 10,000 lines of boot logging trace means to the common man. 

Sorry this didn't help.

My system wont boot when it's installed. Every time I do a system repair it removes the update and then my system will boot properly.

The system then re-downloads the update and I have to deal with the issue again.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same exact problem except I am reimaging the disk to the previous working state to get back to a working state.  I thought I had turned off the auto updates but got nailed by an update last night which took me to the infinite little circle rotating boot problem.  I've moved off to another computer since I've got better things to do that troubleshoot why the updates are killing me.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's annoying because you can't delay or deffer updates on Windows 10.

Also, it uninstalls all the games and updates that I installed on the 29th of September.

Right now, I'm relying on sleep mode so it doesn't force the BROKEN update. That just stops me from repairing and reinstalling my programs when I turn off my PC.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 23, 2018 Views 1,777 Applies to: