updates failing with 0x80242fff on Win 10 64bit

Moved to ssd from disk drive, installed windows 7 pro, updated to SP1, then upgraded to Win 10.  All seemed well for the first few updates, but now it says that it cannot install KB3074678, KB3074686, KB3081449, KB3081452 - Error 0x80242fff. Ran WindowsUpdateDiagnostic, it ran through and found registry errors on and off. no help.  What now?

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting this post:

1a. When (approx.date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. When (exact date, preferably) did you replace the HDD with the SSD?

1c. After you did the clean install of Win7 on the SSD, was SP1 offered & installed via Windows Update or did you install it manually?

2. When (exact date) did you upgrade to Win10?

3. Was the upgrade offered & installed via Windows Update or did you use the Media Creation Tool & ISO download?

4. What is the full name of your currently-installed third-party anti-virus application or security suite (i.e., not Windows Defender!), if any, and when (approx. date) does your current subscription (if any) expire?

5. What third-party anti-malware applications (i.e., not Windows Defender!) are installed, if any?  What third-party firewall, if any?

6. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

7. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the Win7 computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

8. Is KB3971455, KB3081448, KB3081444, KB3081438, KB3081436, and/or KB3081424 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

9. Is Adobe Flash Player v18.0.0.232 installed? TEST HERE USING EDGE OR INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

10. Is Google Chrome, Firefox, or any other alternate browser installed?

11. Are you in the habit of using "registry cleaners" (e.g., CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced SystemCare; Advanced System Optimizer; Glary Utilities; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; Norton PC Tuneup; PCTools Optimiser; PC Doctor; Registry Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro;  Registry Booster; SpeedUpMyPC; System Mechanic; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Wise Care 365; Wise Cleaner)?

==============================================

[1] Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1a. 2008

1b. Sept 21, 2015

1c. manual install

2. Sept 21, 2015

3.media creation tool and iso

4. Malwarebytes antimalware free (installed on Sept. 21, 2015)

5. Whatever Lenovo had on the win 7 install/recovery disk (Thinkpad T410), none activated on purpose.

Lenovo seems to not stick too much bloat/advertising ware on their business machines.

6. see 5

7. I don't think so.

8. unable to tell at this time, see below.

9. some version was, see below also.

10.Chrome was, no others.

11. no, certainly after loading onto a formated drive.

First, sorry, for the efforts that were probably wasted in my case.  I was impatient and restored to windows 7 sp1, I then ran a few updates into it with windows updates.  I accidentally hit a scary website called windows defender. something, to try to load windows defender.  I then got the MS site for it and ran a scan. It didn't find anything, but, it ran slow and popped up windows asking me to upgrade Adobe Flash.  I hit no each time but it continued.  Malwarebytes antimalware found 5 items that it quarantined. By this time I had removed all Adobe software.  I then updated to Win 10.  It hiccoughed late in the install and offered a reset of the os.  I took that.  It removed all applications as far as I can tell and retained a couple of wifi passwords, (not all), and reloaded windows 10 from the ssd.  It then came up looking clean. (scrubbed!)  I installed the software for work the next day, ran updates a couple of times until it said no more available.  I think that I'm good.  Again sorry for the impatience.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

FOLLOW-UP...

1. Was SP1 offered via Windows Update before you installed it manually on 21 September?

2. Since we last heard from you, you've (a) rolled back to Win7, (b) installed updates, (c) dealt with several (PUP? malware?) infections, and then (c) upgraded to Win10 again, is that correct?

3. Did you upgrade to Win10 again via Windows Update or via the MCT & ISO?

4a. After you did the clean install of Win7 on the 21st, how long was the computer connected to the internet before you did the first upgrade to Win10?

4b. After you rolled back to Win7, how long was the computer connected to the internet before you upgraded to Win10 again?

5. Do you understand that neither MBAM Free nor MBAM Premium is an anti-virus application?

6. Have you updated & scanned with MBAM Free since you upgraded to Win10 again?

7. Assuming Chrome is still installed, are run running v45.0.2454.99 (or higher) now?

8. Is KB3971455, KB3074678, KB3074686, KB3081449, and/or KB3081452 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History) now?

9. Is Adobe Flash Player v19.0.0.185 installed now? TEST HERE USING EDGE OR INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY (not Chrome)! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 

10. Chances are the Lenovo came with a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial preinstalled (depending on when & where it was purchased). That being said, you've NEVER run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, is that correct?

11. One more: Does the computer belong to you or your employer?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having this problem on my brand new Surface Book!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To avoid confusion & duplication of effort, please post any/all further follow-up in replies to your own, new thread => http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-update-error-when-installing-kb3105216/357d0618-43a5-41a5-8707-844039ca6147

======================================

FYI...

You will find appropriate support for updating Surface Book in this new forum => http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfbook-surfupdate

Surface Books weren't available until 23 October (5 days ago) and only firmware updates (and a Flash Player update) have been released since then. See https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/surface-book-update-history?os=windows-10

Two types of updates keep your Surface performing its best: Surface hardware updates (also known as firmware) and Windows software updates. Both types install automatically as they become available. See https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/performance-and-maintenance/install-software-updates-for-surface?os=windows-10

Also of possible interest:

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2019 Views 502 Applies to: