Updated to Version 1803 - now lots of BSODs

Microsoft updated my computer to version 1803. The update "completed successfully" but in the few hours since completion, there have been six BSODs, each with a forced restart. Five BSODs were Stop Code - Critical Process Dies; one said System Service Exception.

I need to actually use my computer, so I was forced to roll back to version 1709. 1709 is completely reliable as it was before. To prevent 1803 from downloading or installing I have set my network connection to 'metered.'

I realize 1803 is the future; I hope that the cause of my issue can be identified and fixed at some point. My PC is

HP Envy 13" laptop, model AD173CL

i7-8850U CPU

Intel SSD

Intel Graphics 620 and nVidia GeForce MX150 display adapters

Before the upgrade to 1803, Windows 1709 was fully up to date. I also went to HP support to make sure drivers were all up to date.

Googling implied the issue might be due to the Intel Graphics 620 driver. The Intel install exe for a more-recent driver would not work, saying I had to get the driver from HP. Intel gives a procedure to override that, but it too didn't work, said something like 'incompatible hardware.'

I suppose I should wait a few weeks to see what develops, but perhaps there is evidence still on my drive that can point to what the problem is, evven though I rolled back to 1709. I notice that there's a \$Windows.~BT folder, for example. I would welcome advice on things to check for.

Sorry for the problems with 1803 and you did what all of us would have suggested, rollback. So nice job.
I would also suggest you pause the update for at least 30 days.
I currently have mine paused for 120 days.

Below is an article to give you some pointers to prevent the update from trying to install.

https://www.howtogeek.com/346761/don%E2%80%99t-...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,
I am Sumit, an Independent advisor and a Microsoft MVP here to help.
We need log files(called dump files) that tell us what lead to crash.
Please share them with us for a better analysis of the problem. Instructions can be found here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...
Please let us know if you need any assistance about posting dump files.
Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sarah,

Unfortunately I have Windows 10 Home, so I don't seem to have any of the advanced options the article you linked refers to. For the moment, though, metered connection seems to be holding off the 1803 update, which shows as 'awaiting download' in Windows Update.

Sumit,

As I said, I have rolled back to version 1709, so 1803 is no longer installed. I presume that is the reason that I have no /Windows/Minidump directory. In fact, I have no *.dmp file anywhere in /Windows/. I searched my entire system drive and found only two .dmp files, in /Appdata/Local/.

PilotshubApp.exe.triage.7364.dmp  This one is dated (modified) today at 9:25 AM, about the time I started the rollback process. If this could be useful, I will share it.

ShellExperienceHost.exe.triage.7564.dmp  This one is dated (modified) two days ago, so it could have nothing to do with the installation or operation of 1803.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah.
No problems. 1803 is still maturing so rolling back to 1709 is a great step indeed.
Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 16, 2018 Views 123 Applies to: