Update (KB4038788). When will it be fixed?

When are Microsoft going to fix '2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038788)'. Since it installed, I can no longer put my computer into sleep mode as it crashes every time I wake it- the screen freezes and the only way to fix it is to restart the computor. I run an online business and need to access it at numerous times through the day so this is an absolute nightmare. I can uninstall the update but it it keeps hoovering it back up and dumps it back on the computer again. Is there a work arround for windows 10 Home until it get fixed. Please help.                                                                 

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup / PC

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Well you have more on your screen than I get. Mine just go dark. There are all kinds of post with all kinds of issues on this update, a lot dealing with HP but I've got a Dell XPS8700 Desktop. After looking at the update notes I thought it was Edge and reset my start page to MSN. That worked for a while but now if I let it go to sleep I have to do a hard reboot, sometimes after I've logged in. I've reset to restore point from 9-12 and set my computer to Never Sleep but now the update is still sitting there waiting for a restart. I'm just not going to restart until some kind of fix is issued. If I'm forced into it again I'll go back and reset to 9-12 once more.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Disabling the app readiness service will allow it to login correctly but will inhibit the windows update process that require restarts. I've asked the question when this will be fixed but no answer from Microsoft.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've found this about that too. : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance-winpc/app-readiness-service-windows-10-pro-does-this/369cb71f-b95f-4a76-abe1-ecba89d42bfe .

I can't believe a lot of these replies/answers are to reinstall the software. First that's a pain, second it won't stop the updates from causing the issue again. There's one guy who says basically "What's the big deal? They'll fix it sometime in another update." 

Anyway thanks for your response. I'll give it a try if they don't come up with something. Otherwise I'll just sit on the 9-12 restore point and not do any shut downs if I don't need to. It kind of unnerves me to think it'll shut down in the middle of doing another restore/reset and really screw something up.

Sorry this didn't help.

I uninstall the KB4038788 update virus (yes I'm calling it that now) in the morning which sometimes takes a couple of attempts. I can then, as you do, put the computer in sleep mode. It would be interesting to know if you experience this also- once the computer re-downloads KB4038788, it will wake itself every hour or so to promt you to restart the computer thus re-installing the update. I eventually cave in and just shut it down as I don't want it waking in the middle of the night. It's obviously the update causing the issue- when it's uninstalled there isn't an issue. I think it's disgusting that Mega corp Microsoft haven't issued even a statement about this over the five days since they screwed everything up.

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually didn't re-install the update but the message is there telling me I need to restart to finish the install. I'm fairly sure it will start the process over so I'll just try to wait it out. So far just having my computer set to NEVER go to sleep and staying with the 9-12 version I'm doing fine.

I know you are in a different position than my having an online business to run. I really don't need to be on my computer all day like you might. 

I can just use my laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad) which got the same update on 9-12 and doesn't seem to have any issues.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue, computer locking up when coming out of sleep mode.   After having to reboot the computer three times on 9/14 after a 9/13 KB4038788 update, I did a system restore to just prior to the update.  All was well until the updater re-installed KB4038788  again on 9/15.  Same problem coming out of sleep mode again.  Yesterday, I set sleep mode to 'never' and all has been well since then.  I'll have to leave it that way until the issue is resolved unless someone comes up with a fix.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have just been on the phone with Tech wizard Maria Mendosa at Microsoft for the last hour and now know what is going on. My computer is now quite old and the drivers for the Asus P5QL Pro motherboard  are not compatible with windows 10 (they just haven't created a windows 10 version yet). This explains why I get an express gate error code 8C000002 and the motherboard screen on restart. Untill Asus update the drivers this will always be a problem with the KB4038788 update.

I was provided with a work arround which involves hiding the update. Download this from Microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

I can't talk you through instillation as she did it for me but instructions are on the page- there was a clear option to select the offending update and it works a treat- wakes from sleep every time now without freezing but obviously the update is blocked which may cause other issues further down the line.

Hope this helps.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I checked my display drivers in DM but the roll-back button is grayed out and the driver dates are well before this update, meaning they were not updated as part of KB4038788  so apparently something else is causing this issue as well.  I guess my choice is to roll back the update, use the troubleshooter and forego any security fixes or leave the sleep mode off.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Also seeing same similar problems with Asus P7P55D motherboard. When KB4038788 update is installed, the computer will not come out of sleep mode.  Uninstall and sleep/wake functionality restored.

Then just have to make sure KB4038788 update never gets installed but without jumping through hoops re hiding the update, it automatically installs and sits there waiting to bite whenever computer restarts. Cue another uninstall cycle.

This has to be affecting many people. There are many Asus M/Bs of this and similar vintage still in everyday operation, working quite well (absent this problem). Any chance of revised KB4038788 being released? Or (slimmer) chance of Asus driver updates?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay this is odd and maybe just a fluke. I have a Dell desktop and two monitors. Nothing high tech, just using what I had on hand. One is a 25" HP thru DVI for main and one 22" LG secondary thru VGA. 

Yesterday I bit the bullet after reading articles and what not and restarted my computer only to end up with the black screens again. The first time both totally black and nothing. Hard boot, nothing again. Waited about 20 minutes since some articles said startup was delayed. Hard boot again, got the Dell logo and spinning circles on the LG which is normal, login screen comes on the HP which is normal. Start to type in password and goes black again. I wait and still nothing. Hard boot again same thing. Trying to at least get to a Safe Mode option.

So since I'd read a lot of stuff about HP laptop issues, I turned off the HP monitor and booted. Dell logo and circles come on the LG, nothing, turned on the HP after about 10 seconds and there is the login screen. I log in, go to the updates and download/install the KB 4043292 update/fix they have listed for this update. So far everything is working but I'm keeping watch. I guess it "possibly" was my HP monitor all along or it could have been the video card but right now I don't care as long as it works. 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 24, 2018 Views 1,043 Applies to: