Update KB3206632 stuck!

Update KB3206632 stuck at 95% download for hours....what is the fix, Microsoft? 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sadly my best suggestion is be patient and wait for it to complete. If you have been multi-tasking close all windows. The least traumatic way to stop the operation would be to break the internet connection.
Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ditto here and I have to say updates in general have been sluggish for the past 2 or 3 weeks...

Sorry this didn't help.

Sadly, I don't think it will ever complete, then you're stuck with some sort of emergency load (look on the web among failures of the updates listed below for how to do this). This sort of problem, or a failure to complete the actual Cumulative Update for W10, followed by a timeconsuming regression (which repeats itself next reboot), is a problem for increasing numbers of Windows users. Microsoft are barely able to acknowledge the problem, let alone solve it. My ordeal  started with KB3197954, superceded by KB3200970, KB3201845, now KB3206632, all Cumulative Updates (in effect, a complete refresh of Windows, which explains why it takes a long time).

If the download is the problem for everyone, you can try a manual download:

1. Get rid of any updates waiting to implement i.e. KB3206632 by using (e.g.) STEP 3 at https://windowsinstructed.com/fix-windows-anniversary-update-error-0x80070057/

(but I did it just by manually removing the contents of the donload directory).

2. Download and run the APPROPRIATE manual update at

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3206632

I wanted updates for ordinary Windows for x64. (There is a search an the top of the page, so you can use this for any of the above).

3. Fingers crossed.

If this doesn't work and you are desperate, you can try the other techniques offered at

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/problems-installing-cumulative-update-for-windows/e14e14fd-6f20-4bd7-8d33-8302ff28d8bd

but don't hold your breath - none of them worked for me (a complete refresh, losing all your apps was a bridge too far). To save lots of pain and exasperation, I suggest doing what I did, which is a dirty solution & may leave your system open to the sort of vulnerability the update is meant to fix:

1. Get rid of any updates waiting to implement (see above).

2. Download wushowhide.diagcab (found at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930) and run it. It takes a couple of minutes and you get some dialogue to which the answers are obvious. It tells the automatic updater to ignore any "fixes" you don't want. Check the box for KB3206632 (or whatever). Hopefully if / when Microsoft fix this problem, they will release an update which will supercede it, run automatically and work!

p.s. You have to go through all this for subsequent Cumulative Updates, but at least the previous one is removed from the list of hidden updates.

Sorry this didn't help.

There are things to try when it is slow downloading.

1. Stop multi-tasking.

2. Stop security software.

3. Empty standby using RAMMap.

4. If using wireless, stop downloading and switch to an ethernet cable connection. 

The problem is more problematic once the computer is installing and configuring because you lose the ability to intervene without potentially damaging you system.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

At 07:00 GMT I read a Qualys report about yet another zero-day Adobe Flash security hole. Rather than wait for the Automatic Update I used 'Check for Updates' and off it went. I left it and a few hour s later it was stuck on 95%. I restarted at 11:23GMT & 13 minutes later I found I'd lost my Norton IS and lost my Norton toolbar. I checked for updates again and saw that I needed to download KB3206632. 10 minutes later I was on 90% downloaded, three minutes later on 95% but that's it.

Sorry but why should we be patient and let it eventually resolve itself. There are lots of threads on this - I'll ask the Moderators for them to be merged - but this is yet another utter failure on the part of the programmers.

I daren't check to see if KB3206632 is fixing any security holes - that would be too much too bear.

C'mon Microsoft - get your act together.

version 2004, OS build19041.572
BE SAFE, TAKE CARE.
You MUST visit "Sharing experiences and staying safe, together" - see Andreea_C's profile

Sorry this didn't help.

This CU resolves the issue for internet connection problems for systems on DHCP. Wireless or wired does not matter.

Therefore, if your computer is on DHCP, I strongly advise you to assign static IP address to your computer ( temporarily if you so prefer, for your connection type, wired or wireless ), download the update ( through Windows Update or manual download from Microsoft Update Catalog ) and  install it.

After installation and restarting, you can put your computer back on DHCP, again if you like.

Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

I was able to complete downloading and installation of KB3206632 by doing the following if the update is stuck downloading 95%.

1.  Go to settings.

2.  Select Update and Security.

3.  Select Advanced options.

4.  Check Box Defer feature updates (this will be a temporary setting)

5.  Go back to Update Status page and magically update will ask you to install, say yes.

6.  Magically everything updates and system will ask to be restarted.

7.  After restart return to settings and uncheck box to Defer feature updates.  This is a very important step, do not forget or you will have future problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can be certain about your quote by Abraham Lincoln if you are referring to President Lincoln!
Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Gerry,

Is this still the best advise?

Or is it worth doing this:-

I was able to complete downloading and installation of KB3206632 by doing the following if the update is stuck downloading 95%.

1.  Go to settings.

2.  Select Update and Security.

3.  Select Advanced options.

4.  Check Box Defer feature updates (this will be a temporary setting)

5.  Go back to Update Status page and magically update will ask you to install, say yes.

6.  Magically everything updates and system will ask to be restarted.

7.  After restart return to settings and uncheck box to Defer feature updates.  This is a very important step, do not forget or you will have future problems.

As Marvin suggested.

PS I'm not an expert & I worry about tinkering!

Sorry this didn't help.

John

I have an open mind at the moment.

I have just suggested something similar.

You could terminate the internet connection and Defer Feature Updates.

Click the Start button, icon (three horizontal lines), Settings (from drop down menu), Update & security, Advanced options. Check the box before Defer Feature Updates.

Click the Start button, icon (three horizontal lines), Settings (from drop down menu), Update & security, Check for updates. This will then lead to the installation of the other updates bundled with KB3206632.

Click the Start button, icon (three horizontal lines), Settings (from drop down menu), Update & security, Advanced options. Uncheck the box before Defer Feature Updates.

Click the Start button, icon (three horizontal lines), Settings (from drop down menu), Update & security, Check for updates. This should trigger the downloading of KB3206632 and you may get it to download and install.

It could work with KB3206632 which is part of a bundle of updates. I am not sure about trying it with KB3201845 which may not be part of a bundle. Obviously with either it is better to switch to an ethernet connection if wireless is being used.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 20, 2020 Views 10,107 Applies to: