Unable to perform update error: error 0x80073712

Hi everyone, I keep having problems while trying to install update KB3140768  (and the previous one). I guess this happened because my laptop turned off while installing the update. Anyway, I tried with the SFC commands, DSIM, windows update troubleshoter (that "resolves" the problem), clean boot and I restored windows 10 2 times already, but I couldn't solve the problem.

What else can I do?

Original Title:error 0x80073712 still present after restoration of w10

Question Info

Last updated December 30, 2017 Views 58 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and your efforts towards resolving it.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

1. What is the make and model of the device?

2. Which was the previous system installed on the computer?

3. Did you install any third party security application?

This issue may arise due to corruptions in windows components or application conflicts. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to try the steps from below link to manually reset Windows Update Components and check if the issue persists.
Reset Windows Update components: 
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Registry disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.  Refer to the below article to backup and restore the registry in Windows:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.  

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

What were the results of SFC and DISM?

Sumit
Windows Insider MVP 2018-2020 and Volunteer Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

samsung np300e5c-s08it, windows 7pro, after restoration there were no third parts applications

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

To assist you better, I would like to know the current status of the issue, did you try manual reset Windows update components?

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to place the computer in a clean boot state and check if you are able to perform update.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Applies to Windows 10

Disclaimer: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps from section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” to reset the computer to start as usual.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.