System restore failed while restoring the directory from the restore point. Source: Appx Staging

I am running a factory installed Windows10 OS on a Dell XPS13 laptop. Recently I accidentally installed Yahoo Powered search. I think I have deleted all the related files. However I want to run System restore so I can my system back to where it was before.

However when I ran System Restore I got the following error message "System restore failed while restoring the directory from the restore point. Source: Appx Staging Destination %Programfiles%\Windows Apps An unspecified error occurred during system restore. error 0x80070091"

I have run sfc \scannow and the integrity of the drive came back ok. I ran chkdsk and that came back ok. I tried running system restore in safe mode and I got the same error message.

Any help would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 9, 2018 Views 13,416 Applies to:
Answer

These steps solved my problem. I couldn't boot into Windows so I used the recovery mode command line.

(I'm not sure if the takeown and icacls steps were necessary.)

cd "C:\Program Files"
takeown /f WindowsApps
icacls WindowsApps /grant Administrators:F
attrib WindowsApps -h
rename WindowsApps WindowsApps-renamed

170 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

These steps solved my problem. I couldn't boot into Windows so I used the recovery mode command line.

(I'm not sure if the takeown and icacls steps were necessary.)

cd "C:\Program Files"
takeown /f WindowsApps
icacls WindowsApps /grant Administrators:F
attrib WindowsApps -h
rename WindowsApps WindowsApps-renamed

These steps worked using administrator command prompt in safe mode.

George Pierrou

51 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.