system protection grayed out and unchangable

Windows 10. Unable to turn on (grayed out feild) the protection settings to enable system restore. I have tried: in system protection, selected my hard drive, clicked on configure, max usage 150 GB, but I still can not "Turn on system protection". still grayed out. Help!

You will need to edit the Registry to fix this issue, copy and run each of these three commands in a Command Prompt as Administrator (Windows + X Keys and Select Command Prompt (admin)) - hit enter after each command . . 

reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableSR" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableConfig" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SPP\Clients" /v " {09F7EDC5-294E-4180-AF6A-FB0E6A0E9513}" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "1" /f

Don't worry if the first two keys are not found . . .

Then close Command Prompt and Reboot, you should now be able to configure System Protection (System Restore)

I Hope this Answers your Question!

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the help!  This was driving me crazy.....

I had to re-read the post to see you mentioned rebooting after the registry addition.  But it all is working now.

BTW, I learned the hard way, when changing the properties of the services, it's okay to have them attempt to restart themselves once, or twice, but don't put in the option to have them always try to restart.  It prevented my machine from shutting down.....

Live and learn...

Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to help, if you have any more questions, please contact us here at MS Community!

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to help, if you have any more questions, please contact us here at MS Community!

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2018 Views 733 Applies to: