System Image Backup Fails on Windows 10 - Error codes 0x80070002, 0x807800C5, 0x80780081, 0x8078004F

This question specifically relates to Windows 10 and not earlier versions of Windows, through which I have found the same problem, but without any solutions.

The Problem:  The System Image Backup fails as follows:

1. When using the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) from within the Control Panel and using a USB external drive, with which I successfully backed up on 7/30/2015, shortly after installing Windows 10, I receive a backup error stating "The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002).  I am set up to include the System Image Backup as part of the backup.

2. When attempting to only do the System Backup and Restore I have seen two pop-up error windows.  The first showed 0x807800C5, failure preparing backup image, and 0x80780081, backup disk cannot be found.

3. After starting the Volume Shadow Copy, the first error remains at 0x807800C5 and the 2nd error changed to 0x8078004F.

4. After each failure, I have found an error message in the log file on the backup drive stating: "Backup of volume \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume2\ has failed. The mounted backup volume is inaccessible. Please retry the operation."  These error log messages are under the directory "Windows ImageBackup\PC-Name\Logs".

5. As it turns out the specified volume, in #4, is the UEFI System Boot sector on the hard drive.  I found this out by using DISKPART from within an Administrative Command Window.

After trying several of the solutions from earlier versions of Windows (mostly Windows 7),  I have been unable to get the System Image Backup to work in any form and would greatly appreciate a solution to the problem.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Please provide us the following information to help you better: 

1) Are you trying to back up on a network hard disk?

2) If yes, then check for permissions to back up on the hard disk?

3) If you are backing up on a local drive, make sure it is a NTFS?

Please post us with the required information to help you better.

Thank you. 

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having the exact same problem.  I have used my external hard drive to back up 4 other systems without a problem but on one computer it errors out with the same codes you note above.  I also, have not been able to nail down the cause.  Need some help here.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. I have backed up my internal hard drive regularly for several years using Windows 7 without problems.

Now I have switched to Windows 10 and I gat exactly the same problem as described above.. The external hard drive is NTFS.

I also get a message saying that "the disk is damaged" but it is not.

Using another extenal hard disk (NTFS) I get a message that it is "on the verge of failing and that another source for back up should be found" but there is nothing wrong with this drive either.

Both these external drives have been used many times for back up under Windows 7.

Note. I have a Swedish version of Windows 10 so the wording of the error messages in English is .my translation.

Thus this seems to be a general problem

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was thinking to write a new thread but decided to add to this one since I get the 0x80070002 error while trying to backup.

The backup Disk is the same one I was using when the machine was on W7.  I wiped out all the W7 backup files, so now I am with no recovery method.

On the questions you asked the original user:

1) Are you trying to back up on a network hard disk? the disk is USB plugged to the computer and is dedicated.  After backup it gets disconnected from power.  For three weeks I have tried to do a backup and it fails the same way every time.  I checked "History"  there is nothing there except it recognizes a 65MB chip plugged into the printer.  I don't know what I am looking for there.

2) If yes, then check for permissions to back up on the hard disk? the backup runs.  The OS is installed in Drive C:.  Drive C: is a Samsung SSD 840 EVO SCSI Disk Drive, while all my Documents, Pictures and Music is on Drive D:.  Drive D: is a regular Hard Drive 1TB.  I have a hunch that the problem is the way I moved the "Documents, Pictures, Music, etc," Files from C:, to D:,"  Somehow W10 does not have the same pointing.

3) If you are backing up on a local drive, make sure it is a NTFS?  Yes my Backup Disk is NTFS.

I hope there is a solution for this problem.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update to my post of Aug. 27, 2015

1. My drive is not a network drive, but a local drive and is formatted as NTFS.

2. The USB drive that consistently fails with the backup is a USB 3.0 drive from Seagate.

3. Since my original post, I have successfully backed up the System Image, without any error messages to:

* USB 2.0 drive from Seagate (local drive)

* Internal SATA drive from Seagate

4. I've downloaded, and run "SeaTools" from Seagate on the USB 3.0 drive, and there is one test that consistently fails whereas the other tests pass.  The test results from "SeaTools" are:

Fix All Fast - consistently fails

Short Generic - passes

Short DST - passes

Long Generic - passes

Fix All Long - passes

5. The Seagate USB 3.0 drive is one which I have been using for over a year, and one which I have done many backups on without any problems.  I also deleted all files and reformatted it.  It still will not work with the System Image Backup.  Otherwise data seems to write properly to the drive.  There are also many files, associated with the System Image Backup that are written to the drive, so Windows 10 can communicate with the drive.  The only other anomaly I've noticed with the drive is that it isn't always recognized by Windows, particularly if I power up Windows before powering up the drive (this was true on Windows 8.1, as well as Windows 10).

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello.

I am seeing the same problem, but trying to backup to a NAS drive which is plugged directly into my router.

My error is:

There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set. Details: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.

I am using a Seagate 433E6B drive.

thanks

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update To Original Post of Aug. 27, 2015 and Update of Aug. 30

1.  I have replaced the 3 TB Seagate USB 3.0 drive with another obtained under warranty. 

Aside from the fact that "Seatools" won't even begin any of the basic tests, the drive seems to

work fine, except for the original problem with the System Image Backup failing.

2.  I came across the following article explaining a problem with earlier versions of Windows

which will not work with large drives that don't have 512 block sectors,

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005486en?language=en_US

and a follow-up link to:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2510009

3.  I, once again, using the same PC was successful in doing a System Image Backup to a

1 TB Seagate  USB  2.0 drive, which would tend to make one believe that 4K sectors on the

larger 3TB USB 3.0 drive was the problem, but this can’t be the entire problem as

I’ve described below.  The 1 TB Seagate drive

4.  Next, I tried doing a System Image Backup using an older laptop that I had upgraded to Windows 10,

using the 3TB USB 3.0 drive that had failed on my main PC.  The System Image Backup worked!

5.  I am also trying an older desktop PC with the 3 TB USB 3.0 drive, also upgraded to Windows 10, and

that backup, although not yet finished, is a couple of hours in and appears to be working as well.

6.  My main PC, is the only PC of the group that has the EFI partition on the hard drive.

7.  I ran “Fsutil fsino ntfsinfo x:” as explained under the above links and did find that the 1TB drive

could be allocated in 512 byte sectors whereas the 3 TB drive has a lower limitation of 4K sectors.

8.  The bottom line, I still haven’t been successful in doing a System Image backup on my main PC.

The problem seems to be associated with the EFI partition on the hard drive, but this should

also  cause a failure when backing up to the 1 TB drive.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update To Original Post of Aug. 27, 2015 and Update of Aug. 30

1.  I have replaced the 3 TB Seagate USB 3.0 drive with another obtained under warranty. 

Aside from the fact that "Seatools" won't even begin any of the basic tests, the drive seems to

work fine, except for the original problem with the System Image Backup failing.

2.  I came across the following article explaining a problem with earlier versions of Windows

which will not work with large drives that don't have 512 block sectors,

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005486en?language=en_US

and a follow-up link to:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2510009

3.  I, once again, using the same PC was successful in doing a System Image Backup to a

1 TB Seagate  USB  2.0 drive, which would tend to make one believe that 4K sectors on the

larger 3TB USB 3.0 drive was the problem, but this can’t be the entire problem as

I’ve described below.  The 1 TB Seagate drive

4.  Next, I tried doing a System Image Backup using an older laptop that I had upgraded to Windows 10,

using the 3TB USB 3.0 drive that had failed on my main PC.  The System Image Backup worked!

5.  I am also trying an older desktop PC with the 3 TB USB 3.0 drive, also upgraded to Windows 10, and

that backup, although not yet finished, is a couple of hours in and appears to be working as well.

6.  My main PC, is the only PC of the group that has the EFI partition on the hard drive.

7.  I ran “Fsutil fsino ntfsinfo x:” as explained under the above links and did find that the 1TB drive

could be allocated in 512 byte sectors whereas the 3 TB drive has a lower limitation of 4K sectors.

8.  The bottom line, I still haven’t been successful in doing a System Image backup on my main PC.

The problem seems to be associated with the EFI partition on the hard drive, but this should

also  cause a failure when backing up to the 1 TB drive.

Success !

After successfully creating System Image Backups on two other PC's as itemized above, my main PC with the EFI partition is now creating a System Image Backup.  The 3TB Seagate USB 3.0 drive contains the backups for all three PC's under the directory 'WindowsImageBackup'.  Along the way I've deleted a couple of partitions on the hard drive I was backing up, and deleted the hidden system file, WindowsImageBackup under C:\System Volume Information\WindowsImageBackup.  First attempts at creating the System Image Backup after first making these changes were unsuccessful, but may have ultimately helped with achieving a successful backup.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Had all the same.  External USB 1 TB Seagate. Tried obvious like switching cable, port, restart, etc. All files on drive had been deleted.  Finally did a (quick) reformat of the drive.  That was the magic.  All AOK now.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I upgraded to Windows 10 on both my MacBook Pro and Mac Mini and when I try to create an a system image I get error 0x807800C5 and 0x8078004F. Both Macs run boot camp. On my mac mini when it's trying to create an image it's also backing up an EFI partition which the macbook pro does not show and EFI partition.

I up graded windows 10 on an old HP lap top and I don't have this problem. I don't know what I need to do to fix it. In my case it seems to be isolated only to Mac machines.

I can do Win 7 back ups, file history etc in windows 10 but I cannot do a system image and when I try I get error 0x807800C5 and 0x8078004F.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 26, 2020 Views 53,020 Applies to: