stop windows 10 upgrade notifications

how can i stop windows 10 notification from showing in the system tray

Question Info

Last updated January 25, 2018 Views 1,136 Applies to:

Hi Shanda,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Which operating system is currently installed in the system?

If you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, I would suggest you to try the following methods if you want to stop this notification.

Method 1:Uninstall the Windows Update as follow:

Remove the Windows update KB 3035583

If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2: Rename the GWXUXWorker.exe

Terminate the GWX.exe process using Task Manager. Moreover rename the GWXUXWorker.exe and GWX.exe to .old as suffix from directory location:-

Windows\System32\GWX, if getting any issues while renaming then give the system permission's to respective files and then try to rename it again. OR you can delete the entire directory folder.

If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3:  Registry key to stop the notification :-

1. Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the run dialog box.

2. In the Open field, type regedit.

3. Click OK.

4. Click Yes on the User Account Control (if prompted).

5. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Gwx

6. Right click.

7. Click Modify.

8. In the Value data: field, dword:00000001.

9. Click OK.

10. Exit Registry Editor.

Important this method contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

this is a real pain in the ,,, I do not want the update . I have tried it 3 times to use windows 10 and every time there is the same drive problems and I can not use my computer. I keep thinking you would have fixed the problem and have to totally reinstall windows 7 every time it happens. there has to be an easier way to uninstall this update. 
ASUSZ170-PROIcore7OCZPCI240GBSSD24 GB RAM17TBHHDGeForce1060,COREP5 Open Tower,1000wPSUWaterCoolW10

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't want Windows 10, because I tried it on my laptop and it didn't play well with my accessories.  So I decided to wait until after tax season.  As a CPA I can ill afford to spend hours troubleshooting your software,  Free is such a misleading term, isn't it.  I now cannot even begin my days work for fear of "starting the upgrade now".  I have done steps 1 2 and 3 of this thread.  There is no sign of KB 3035583 on my computer, there is no file or folder named GWX.exe or GWXUXWorker.exe.  There is no registry entry under current version titled Gwx.

Short form I need this damn thing gone.  I cannot be so attentive to your automatic software updates while I attempting to be diligent in the preparation of Tax Returns.

If this keeps up I will have to scrap all Microsoft products, since non of them are compatible with Linux, or to a large extent Apple.  This is a major issue, but I cannot let you kidnap my brain to accommodate your ill produced software.  Something will have to give. 

I will sue for lost time, for your indiscretion in "automatically" updating my software without my permission.  The license you granted me might provide for this but there is absolutely no possibility that we had a meeting of the minds, and I insist that adequate attention be devoted to the issue you created on my equipment.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to refer the steps provided in the article mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options

Important this method contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Do keep us updated.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

Sorry this didn't help.