Serious issue with KB4058043 - PC inoperable after installing update

Question:  Is there a way to check compatibility of a Win 10 update before actually installing it on a computer? 

Problem: 

HP Pavillion dv6 A5F76AV Laptop with an x64 based i7 processor 16 GB of RAM - Win 10 installed KB4058043 automatically and a message popped up that it needed to restart to finish updating drivers.  During restart the screen went to a Blue Screen with a frowny face  : (  which is NO CONSOLATION for locking me out of my computer.  Although the screen message stated that I could restart my computer, there were no button options to do that so I had to shut down the computer and restart it with the power button to no avail.  Same screen popped up.  Bottom line is this update hosed my computer, Win 10 Repair Disc couldn't do anything and MS Tech's solution was that my PC is not compatible with this new update and we need to turn off updates from this point forward and re-install Win 10 offline with an older build which he prepared for me on one of my external USB HD.  I had to even go through the boot up options and system options to re-enable boot up from CD/DVD, my PC refused to recognize my Emergency Repair Disc from a 3rd Party which eventually I managed to get working after re-enabling the CD/DVD drive several times.  After about 6 hours, I was able to access the 3rd Party Backup tool and restore an earlier image (1 month old) and then restore backups to within a week of this failed update; luckily I was on vacation the previous week so lost very little actual work (worked 1 day on vacation).  Win10 auto update caused endless and needless frustration (why not run a compatibility check before pushing your updates).  Thank GOD I had images and backups or I would have lost my programs and files.  I have increased my image frequency.  Backups are always on so, as long as I am home, they get backed up contemporaneously.

Answer
Answer

Hi Dan,

If you are unable to boot your device after installing an update, it could be that a component of Windows may have been damaged or corrupted. We recommend that you download and use an installation media to restore from a system restore point or reset your PC. Here's how to download and use an installation media:

1. On a working PC, go to the Microsoft software download website.
  2. Download the media creation tool and then run it.
  3. Select Create installation media for another PC.
  4. Choose a language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit).
  5. Follow the steps to create the installation media, and then select Finish.
  6. Connect the installation media you created to your nonfunctional PC, and then turn it on.
  7. On the initial setup screen, enter your language and your other preferences, and then select Next. If you are not seeing the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.
  8. Select Repair your computer.
  9. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you may:
    • Restore from a system restore point by selecting Advanced options > System Restore. This will remove recently installed apps, drivers, and updates that might be causing your PC problems. Restoring from a system restore point won't affect your personal files.
    • Select Reset this PC to reinstall Windows 10. This will remove apps and drivers you installed and changes you made to settings, but lets you choose to keep or remove your personal files.

If you need further assistance, feel free to ask us.

If you think this was useful, you may mark it as an answer to help those who are facing the same problem.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Thank you for answering the ultimate question.  I did find the Update Catalog, but thank you for providing the link.  Since there is presently no way to check compatibility with Microsoft Win 10 updates prior to installation, my solution is the following:

1. Disable Win10 Updates through services.msc (look up Windows Updates, double click on it and select Disable in the "startup type" option - dropdown list).

2. Enable Easeus Todo Backup to do a PreOS load so my PC boots up with the option to load Easeus Todo Backup and thereby provide me with the option to restore an Image prior to loading Win10 and crashing my PC. This avoids the problem I had with accessing the DVD drive also.

3. Search on Microsoft Update Catalog website for any updates that have not been installed.  Download any updates not installed.

3. Make an image prior to installing any Win10 updates.

4. Install the updates one at a time and attempt to restart into the updated Win10 OS after each successful installation.  If it fails, I can reboot and choose Easeus Todo Backup instead of Win10 and restore my previous image and try the next update and repeat the process until all compatible updates have been installed.

This is only until Microsoft comes up with a better way to check compatibility before installing damaging updates.  Thank you for responding.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2019 Views 3,319 Applies to: