Schedule download and installation of updates?

I've found lots of similar posts, but they're all on how to schedule the update for Windows 10 upgrade.  Already have Windows 10, and love it!  But one of the frustrating things that I can't quite figure out is how to schedule updates (and install if possible) during certain hours of the day.

I'm on satelite internet.  So I have a threshold limit of 20GB per month and have to be thrifty with my data.  The nice part is, I have a "free zone."  Meaning, my internet is unmetered between midnight and 5AM.  This is when I take advantage of all my big downloads and updates.  But I'm not always up during that time and unlike past versions of Windows, I can't figure how to schedule at least the download of updates during that free time.

Anyone know how to set updates to download during the times that I want to set?

Thank you so much for your support!  This community has taught me so much, and saved many hours of headaches.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2019 Views 756 Applies to:

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Let me help you to fix the issue.

Based on your description, be informed that Windows updates will automatically download on Windows 10, it is by design. However, you can reschedule the restart after downloading the updates and also you can try scheduling Windows updates, when Windows update is prompt you can try scheduling the update. Check if it helps.

1. Open the Start menu and type Windows update in the search bar.

2. Click on Windows update.

3. Click on Advanced options under Windows updates.

4. Select the Notifies to scheduled restart form drop down menu under the Choose how update are installed.  

You will be prompted to scheduled restart when to install the updates after the updates are downloaded.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Debbarma for the reply.  You answered my question that Windows updates downloads automatically without no option to schedule that download, only the restart (which I really don't care about that feature).

I find this disappointing for users like me that are limited with our internet and hope they soon give an option for people like us.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a major problem for those of us who have limited satellite Ethernet data download allowance.

We need a way to control the download of win 10 updates to our Free Time Zone.

Please help with this issue Microsoft.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

jjhirsch, I understand Miscrosoft's stance on wanting everybody unified on updates by forcing them, but not letting it's users to choose WHEN to download those updates plays a toll on the millions that are limited with their broadband.  So you're absolutely right!  Perhaps Microsoft is holding out for ISP like Exede and Hughesnet to give in and let updates bypass meters.  :-S

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply.

I would like to inform that unfortunately the option to schedule when to download an update is not available in Windows 10. But, we do have an option to hide updates. Refer the link below for how to hide updates.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-to-hide-updates-in-windows-10-basic-method/57578ebf-f1b2-4088-83da-604f2c2d98fd

Hope the information is helpful.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is not good for those of us on metered connections.  I do not understand why there is no simple way to schedule an update download.  This is sucking my data allowance.  All I want to do is make it do the downloads at night.  What is so complicated about that?

·

Sorry this didn't help.

have a look at this thread

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This has worked for me:

This is kind of a "brute force" method, because the downloads are usually large (>500MB for 32bit OS and >1GB for 64bit OS), but if they're in the free zone and if you delete the file after you execute it, it really shouldn't matter. Doing it this way avoids have to go through your update history and the list of new updates to determine what you need or don't need.

1. Set your connection as a Metered Connection (you've probably done this already)

2. Install a download manager. (I use Free Download Manager)

3. Go to https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

4. Search for "Cumulative"

5. Click the "Last Updated" column header to put the most recent updates at the top of the list

6. Find  the most recent update appropriate to your OS and click "Download". If you don't know your version, click Start, type "About" and click "About your PC". Your Version and OS Build should be displayed in the resulting Settings window.

7. A pop-up window should appear with a link to the download. Right-click the link and select "Copy link address". 

8. Go to download manager and add the link as a scheduled download.

9. Double-check that the download will start during your free zone. My experience with Free Download Manager is that it defaults to start the download at the top of the next hour even though I have my Free Zone times set in the default settings.

10. Other Microsoft products can be updated in the same manner by using different keywords and levels of specificity in the Search. For example "office 2016 32-bit critical" or "realtek audio driver" (Caution: some of these say "for testing")

So far, I haven't figured out how to make this work when changing editions, e.g. going from Anniversary Edition to Creators Edition.

Hope this helps.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.