Question

Q: Run time error : 8020 [error reading comm device]

Hi,

We were using an application which was developed using VB6 and MSComm control.  The application was running fine on Windows 8 and 8.1 but after upgrading to Windows 10, we get run time error 8020.

Would you please let us know the solution asap.

Thank you

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

It would be better if you contact the dedicated MSDN Forum to get better assistance with your query.

Please click the link given below which helps you to redirect to MSDN forum, where you can post your query.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thanks and Regards,
Santosh Kumar Rai.
Microsoft Support Engineer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your recommendation. However, this is OS related issue, therefore  MSDN Forum won't provide much help.

I'm waiting for your solution.

Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem and I have verified it is an OS issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

We have the same problem too with Error 8020.  We're using Microsoft's USBSER.SYS device driver under Windows 10.  This driver should allow a VB application (indeed any application) to communicate via a virtual COM port  to an external device.  In our case, that device is PIC processor sending ASCII characters at a modest data rate through a Microchip MCP2200 chip into a usb port on the PC.

This equipment and application software works fine under Windows XP (SP3+) and Vista and Windows 7 and Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1 - all of them - but not under Windows 10.

This is an operating system issue that we think concerns Microsoft's USBSER driver for Windows 10.  Would jdig77 and orderinn_ltd above please clarify if they are using a 9-pin DB9 hardware COM port or a USB virtual COM port when they encountered error 8020, and if it was a USB port then the device or chip that they plugged into that USB port, and whether both people are using the MSComm control.

We have tried our very same application using a serial-to-usb converter cable made by FTDI which uses a FTDI (non-Microsoft) driver instead of having an MCP2200 chip sit in between the PIC and the PC.  This combination works under Windows 10 without any error 8020.

Under Windows XP to Windows 8.1, we would have to manually install (associate) the Windows USBSER driver with our hardware by installing an INF file.  That's not the case under Windows 10 "out of the box version" which seems to know about the MCP2200 chip already.  We simply plug in our hardware and *immediately* it appears as a virtual COM port in Device Manager without having to install any INF file. 

This is a significant difference in the behaviour in Windows 10 compared to all previous versions of Windows back to XP and therein likely likes the problem.  My expectation is that Windows 10 is not configuring its built-in USBSER driver for some mode in which the MScomm control is working in VB.

We've seen this kind of thing before.  Years ago we used a Prolific serial-usb adaptor cable with a Prolific driver.  Suddenly quite out of the blue this stopped working, you've guessed, with error 8020.  This was due to a new Prolific driver being installed over Windows Update.  We got rid of that unwanted update and it then worked again.  Eventually Prolific issued a newer driver that did work, but by that stage we had switched to FTDI's product.  So, this was a driver issue, where one particular version of Prolific's driver did not support some operating mode of MSComm.

We've tried re-installing the device driver for our USB device from Device Manager in Windows 10, using an INF file for our chip's particular VID/PID, and we still get Error 8020 in VB, and windows continues to use it own driver and info - ignoring the settings that we've supplied in our INF file.

As our app is built on Microsoft's VB platform, the USBSER driver producing error 8020 is a Microsoft driver, and MSComm is a Microsoft control, and Microsoft has made the recognition of a MCP2200 chip automatic in Windows 10, we thank you in anticipation of Microsoft looking into this.

Sorry this didn't help.

52 people were helped by this reply

I’m not 100% sure it’s only a Microsoft problem. Let me explain.

My students used to make an interface based on an USB stick from piccircuit.com (iCP12)

It works with all Windows version accept version 10. The com port is found, but when connecting the error appears. (run time error 8020) A driver for this stick can be downloaded from their site.
I contacted piccircuit and they offered the working source code, but only with Visual Studio, not VB6.

However the same kind of interface based on an Arduino (Nano) and almost the same software works just fine under Windows 10.

So I think the problem is a bit more complex.

I would of course appreciate it when a solution can be offered.

Hilbrand. (EduTechSoft.nl)

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

We are having the same problem with a PIC18F14K50 USB Module to a VB6 application isolated to Win 10 OS.

Sorry this didn't help.

We are experiencing similar if not same problem with a PIC18F14K50 USB Module to a VB6 application isolated to Win 10 OS.

Driver versions 5.1.2600.2 and 5.1.26009 work with above USB module and VB6 application on Win XP, 7 and 8.1, but again not on Win 10. The Microchip PIC USB module using these drivers on Win 10 "does" work with non-VB6 applications. Note, above VB6 application works on Win 10 PC with Keyspan USB module and its driver.

This run-time error has occurred on every PC tested thus far, potentially in the dozens, hence the isolated Win 10 bug claim.

This issue is critical to our business as our clients aren't able to use our product on Win 10 forcing us to purchase and install older Windows for compatibility.

Sorry this didn't help.

This issue is critical to our business as well.  We too are not able to sell our existing products to Win 10 customers.

This is forcing us to consider abandoning the Microchip MCP2200 USB chip and find some other way to interface our designs to the Win 10 / VB6 environment using some competitor USB chip that uses a non-Microsoft USB driver.

We do not see simply ignoring Windows 10 as a viable long-term strategy even if Windows 10 itself is the root cause of our difficulties with Error 8020 arising in our VB app.  And so we'd like the Windows 10 USBSER device driver to be fixed so it that works just like the XP through 8.1 versions of it do.

We would be grateful for any sort of response from Microsoft please.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is an OS issue.

On Win 10 laptop error 8020 occurs with Arduino board.

On Win 7 desktop no error with same board and same code.

Both Tested in VB6 using calls with MSComm

Come on Microsoft, with $93 billion per year you can do better than that!

Sorry this didn't help.

Strange to read you’re having problems with the Arduino.
On a 5 year old HP DV7-2180ED Windows 10 32 bit no problems with 2 different Arduino’s.
Just tested it on a Surface 3 Pro Windows 10 64 bit also no problem with an Arduino Nano.

I’ve written test software for the Arduino and it works on everything I’ve tried.
Print Screen
http://www.edutechsoft.nl/Arduino/Test%20Arduino%20Nano.PNG
Free software download http://www.edutechsoft.nl/Arduino/Test%20Arduino%20Nano.zip (.ino file in INO folder)

The iCP12 with a 18F2550 doesn’t work with Windows 10. I’ve searched Microchip.com for a new driver but didn’t find anything.

Sure it’s a problem with Windows 10, but in my opinion it could also be related to the supplied driver for the Microchip PIC family.

Still hope to activate Micro (chip) and/or (soft) to see this is a serious problem.

Hilbrand.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 9,223 Last updated: May 18, 2018 Applies to: