Reset Surface Pro 3

I am trying to reset my surface pro 3.  I am or "was" running the windows 10 update.  I went to turn on my computer the other morning and randomly it wouldn't load.  I would just come up saying surface and then the screen would dim out like it was waiting for windows to come up, but it never would, even after waiting like 2 hours.  So i am trying to restore it.   So I downloaded the image file for my serial number on the back of my surface.  I know I didnt type it wrong because I downloaded it again after it didnt work the first time.  I put it on my 16gb flash drive like the website said and attempted to boot from it.  I changed the boot order so it would boot from the usb instead of the ssd.  Now its coming up saying:  

Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem :

1. Insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer.. blah blah blah..

then it says  

File:  \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Info: The boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors. 

The file is one of the files that came with the download of the recovery image file, so im not sure what happened.  Thats why I tried downloading twice because I thought the first downloaded may have been corrupted or something.  But the same thing happened again.  I feel like I have tried everything to no success.   Please any help on this matter would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

If you are unable to boot to the computer and facing issue in performing reset then I would suggest you to create installation media and then try to per form automatic repair and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Step 1: Create ISO for Windows 10

You may also refer to the article mentioned below to for downloading Windows 10 on your computer.

Download Windows 10

Step 2: Perform an Automatic repair

The Automatic repair can detect and fix the issues that prevent the computer from working normally.

After you have a Windows 10 installation disc/USB, follow these steps: 

1. When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be F12.
  2. The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
  3. Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to CD\DVD ROM (in case you create DVD). Select USB in case you create USB.
  4. After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen      appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
  5. Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
  6. Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
  7. Click on Troubleshootingadvanced option and then click Startup Repair

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having the same message when trying to boot my Surface Pro 3 with the very same usb device that I used to install windows 10 to begin with, and also when I try to boot with the recovery usb media.  The generic answer given by the "Support Engineer" did not address this issue at all.  Please let me know if you found a solution to your issue.  So far my experience with windows 10 has been that it has the worst deployment issues of any Windows OS so far.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

K,

I was finally able to get it to boot into recovery, I actually used a different USB stick from what i was using to begin with, and found that helpful.  Although once I completely restored my surface and went to reinstall windows 10 it did the same issue again even with the new USB stick.  In the end, I found an online forum explaining that if you have an micro SD card installed while you are trying to boot from the usb, it could cause issues.  So I removed the SD card while trying to boot from the USB and haven't had any issues since.

Hope that helps.

Please let me know, I'm still curious why that would cause the problem.  

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much!!

I was having the same issues and trying to solve this for days. Removing the microSD before booting did the work!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't believe that, after everything I went through to get going again after having the same problem, removing the MicroSD was the solution.  Unbelievable - 1.5 hrs on phone with Microsoft didn't even get me that far.  Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

K,

I was finally able to get it to boot into recovery, I actually used a different USB stick from what i was using to begin with, and found that helpful.  Although once I completely restored my surface and went to reinstall windows 10 it did the same issue again even with the new USB stick.  In the end, I found an online forum explaining that if you have an micro SD card installed while you are trying to boot from the usb, it could cause issues.  So I removed the SD card while trying to boot from the USB and haven't had any issues since.

Hope that helps.

Please let me know, I'm still curious why that would cause the problem.  

I know this is an old post but thank you so much!  You're a lifesaver, I was pulling my hair trying to figure out why it wouldn't work

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are so welcome, I am so glad that I was able to help everyone out.  This had me very frustrated as well, and Microsoft was offering no help at all.  I'm glad that you got it working. Have a great day!! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You saved my life!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2020 Views 1,270 Applies to: