Regedit.exe search crashes after upgrade to 10586

Hello:

I can duplicate a crash while searching the registry with regedit.exe.  The problem area seems to be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade.  This behavior started after the upgrade to 10586.

I see this behavior on four different desktops after the upgrade.  If I search the registry the search will continue normally up until HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade and then hang.   Cancelling the search results in the "registry editor has stopped working" message.  If I start a search after that key the search will complete without hanging.  I deleted the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade key and experience no problem with searching..

Can anyone else reproduce this error?  I've cleaned up the leftover previous Windows installation and temporary installation files after the 10586 upgrade and I don't see any problems after deleting the key.  Just want to make sure there are no unintended consequences waiting to byte me.

Thanks.

GM

Question Info

Last updated March 1, 2019 Views 3,776 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

Please be informed serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system.

In order to fix any missing or corrupt registry entries we would recommend you to deploy System File Checker Tool (SFC) instead of manually altering the registry structure.

SFC helps to identify any corruptions in the Windows file integrity and repairs them. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My Gosh Sayan.... are you a robot?

Sfc /scannow.... reboot.... is that all you got?

Cheese and crackers...

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!

Yes, that MS' "support engineer"'s answers sure leaves a lot to desire ...

I'm on latest Win10 = 10586.

I have the same problems with Search in Regedit, it just hangs while searching, and then when I click Cancel, it crashes, and restarts.

But I don't even have the key you mention: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade

But when I start a Search standing on some key Later than the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\ the Search works and ends normally.

So it's anyway somewhere before that key the problem exists.

I found two Forum-threads that deals with this too, so you and I are not alone with this problem.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/31266-windows-10-registry-editor-regedit-exe.html

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/29943-registry-issue-new-10586-build-4.html

Let's hope none of those hired Lackeys jumps in here with their standard-answer-phrases, but instead someone with some real know-how can answer when MS will come out with an Updated and Working regedit.exe!

/Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.

I do have the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade and it seems before that key and after that key, regedit works fine.

Cause and Solution here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/regeditexe-search-crashing-in-w10-1511th2/a70e0cb9-46a3-4fac-a103-4fee65d19eb8

Sorry this didn't help.

So, I am having the same problem. Regedit crashes when you cancel out of it. I did the Sfc /scannow command and it found errors but did not solve this problem. Are you working on this Microsoft?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found the problem to be  in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade\Pnp\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceMigration\Devices\SWD\WPDBUSENUM\ key, and as the previous poster referenced the thread that mentioned this key, I had some reference to a USB drive string that I deleted and fixed the issue.  But I had an even better fix... I have completely ditched the Windows 10 upgrade idea for my company and decided to stick with Windows 8.1.    Not worth the new slick icons and networking bugs.....

Sorry this didn't help.

Obviously my problem is being overlooked, so here is the original message:

Can someone please assist me in resolving my problem. I have tried to run a complete search in Registry Editor in in Windows 10, only to have it freeze about a 3/4 of the search. I did a reverse search from the bottom folder to see where the search would freeze and discovered the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{7f108a28-9833-4b3b-b780-2c6b5fa5c062}
Subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{7f108a28-9833-4b3b-b780-2c6b5fa5c062}\##?#STORAGE#Volume#_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic-&Prod_Compact_Flash&Rev_1.01#058F63626479&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}#{7f108a28-9833-4b3b-b780-2c6b5fa5c062}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{7f108a28-9833-4b3b-b780-2c6b5fa5c062}\##?#STORAGE#Volume#_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic-&Prod_MS#MS-PRO&Rev_1.03#058F63626479&2#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}#{7f108a28-9833-4b3b-b780-2c6b5fa5c062}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{7f108a28-9833-4b3b-b780-2c6b5fa5c062}\##?#STORAGE#Volume#_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic-&Prod_SD#MMC&Rev_1.00#058F63626479&1#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}#{7f108a28-9833-4b3b-b780-2c6b5fa5c062}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{7f108a28-9833-4b3b-b780-2c6b5fa5c062}\##?#STORAGE#Volume#_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic-&Prod_xD-Picture&Rev_1.02#058F63626479&3#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}#{7f108a28-9833-4b3b-b780-2c6b5fa5c062}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{7f108a28-9833-4b3b-b780-2c6b5fa5c062}\##?#STORAGE#Volume#_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_SanDisk&Prod_Cruzer&Rev_1.20#20043513021919B2F314&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}#{7f108a28-9833-4b3b-b780-2c6b5fa5c062}

These are the things I have tried before posting:

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth = enter
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1(Here X is the drive where the ISO is stored.)

format and new install

Sorry this didn't help.

I did Not have an option for command prompt, the nearest I could see was "Windows Powershell (admin) I tried that and entered sfc/scannow but all it said was no such command.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah - it's not us - it's the Regedit+MS :)

Three different computers - updated, clean installed - regedit crashes. It seems for me as if it crashes if a search term is not found (anymore, after subsequent search).

Got used to it - if the search takes more than a minute, then it crashed. Even pressing the Cancel button on the search would crash it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've found this problem too.

I'm running Windows 10 version 10.0.10586.

Searching from the top tree regedit crashes. So I used a bottom - up approach and I found that the problem is in the same keys as reported by bjel78 on February 7:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control.... and corresponding HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control.....

so, in my opinion, it's probably due to wrong hardware (specially removable USB storage devices and printers) driver migration from previous build of Win 10 (or previous Windows version).

The problem is always due to wrong access permission of a key and all it's subkeys.

I solved the problem changing the permission of each single top level key, first taking the ownership (as administrator) of the key and relevant subkeys, than adding a full control permission to the administrator account (myself).

Unfortunately I had to repeat the same task for all the top level wrong keys.

After that the search through all the registry run as a charm.  

Sorry this didn't help.