RANDOM POPUP WINDOW

Upgraded W8.1 to 10 last week.  Seems OK EXCEPT what looks like a miniature command prompt window pops up randomly (about once per minute).  Doesn’t stay long enough to read.  Didn’t happen in safe mode.  Still happens when disconnected from internet.  Happens when I am not doing anything.  Wacko interruptions to what I am doing accompany (like skipping characters when I am typing).

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2019 Views 5,016 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Perform a Clean Boot and find out which application/service is causing this issue.

A clean boot helps to eliminate software conflicts and to determine what is causing the problem. To perform a clean boot, please refer to the section “How to perform a clean boot” and follow the instructions from this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

You may please note that performing a clean boot does not fix the actual issue. It just helps us in identifying the root cause of the issue.

If the issue does not occur in clean boot, then you may determine which application/service on the computer is causing this issue. This can be done by following the instructions  given in the section  How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot from the same given link.

Important: After you have finished troubleshooting, refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” for “Windows 8 and Windows 8.1”, to reset the computer to start as usual from the above link.

Note: Also applies to Windows 10.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Clicking the lower right corner of my screen brings up the desktop.  I blundered around for a long time trying to bring up the msconfig screen described in the link.  I found a window that offered a “safe restart” and clicked.  The restart brought up the sunshine-through-the-window screen and stopped there.  Normal restart stops there--no welcome screen where I used to be able to log on.  What do I do now?  

Sorry this didn't help.

While hoping for the promised further help should I post a report of problems with the suggested solution, I tried to set up a chat with Microsoft.  After spending some time there was advised that I had reached the install help desk (or some such) who didn’t answer my kind of problem.  Anyway that person triggered a call from Microsoft by someone neither my wife nor I could understand.  So I blundered and found that IF YOU HOLD DOWN SHIFT WHEN YOU PUSH RESTART THE SYSTEM WILL OPEN A TROUBLESHOOTING PAGE.  I ran Restore (failed), Build (hung) but something did run and took me back to WIN 8.1.  Microsoft kept wanting to run updates including upgrade to 10.  I was dumb enough to allow it, so now I am back in Windows 10 with the original problem described above.  Maybe in a year or two I will try to fix it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally got a glimpse of the intrusive pop-up.  The key word is "Arcade."  Found an app labelled "Arcade Twist."  which wouldn't uninstall.  Investigation reveals that this is malware.  Found it in my list of programs.  It did uninstall there and the problem went away.  Seems this came in with win 10 but not sure.  Anyway, based on my experience would advise anyone to delay venturing into win 10 as long as possible.  My installation still isn't running well.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

First of all, I apologies for the delay in response.

I appreciate your efforts in resolving this issue and posting it on Microsoft Community Forum, as this might help other community members as well.

We would like to know the issue you are facing now on Windows 10 to assist you in resolving the issue.

Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

26 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.