Pushed/Forced "Upgrade" to Win 10

I have more than enough problems trying to get my new Win 7 Pro Dell working properly; and I have no interest in compounding my issues by overlaying another OS version. But MS is pounding my machine on a daily basis, trying to install Win 10.

I have not been able to find any way for a personal user to ask MS Support about this problem.  

Can any useful information be found in this Community on how to stop these attempts? Or would MS remove any such information, if posted? (I have Searched for info on this here, without success.)

Can anyone suggest an independent NG or Forum that might have useful info on this topic? (Note: I saw a thread in a photo forum, where PC users specified KB***** "updates" that they believed to be the Win 10 push worms; and they recommended uninstalling them.)

I would be grateful for any useful info or leads on this, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be.

Regards, Ed

Question Info

Last updated December 29, 2017 Views 300 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for showing interest on Windows 10.

I understand you concern about stopping the automatic Windows 10 upgrade on your computer.

Try the following methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I would recommend you to uninstall and reinstall that KB article and check if it works.

Open the elevate (Adminstrator) Command Prompt and type the below command and hit Enter.

• wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2:

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" folder and delete everything in that folder.
  2. Now, Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Command Prompt Admin.
  3. Type in wuauclt.exe /updatenow in the Command prompt.
  4. Close the Command prompt after successfully executed the command in Command prompt.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This DOES NOT work.

Windows 10 and KB3035583 keep coming back.

The only way to stop this junk ware from being installed is to TURN OFF windows updates.

Very sad that your company is forcing this junk ware.

This is getting to be critical.  We cannot run Windows 10 in our environment and we are spending way too many labor hours cleaning up this junk ware.

We should not have to fight you over this.  Just turn off the forced install by putting KB3035583 back to an optional update and keep it hidden when we choose to hide it.  It should not keep coming back just because you want us to upgrade when we cannot.  This is costing money, real dollars.  We are going to have to make a choice in the coming months, and I am looking at every serious option we can use to move away from MS devices and software completely.

Sorry this didn't help.

No, this does not work. In fact KB 3035583 has been uninstalled (months ago) and it returned this week. It's displayed three times in hidden updates. Despite having removed the update, as well as flushing "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" Windows 10 still tries to install and I cannot update without it. There is no reference to Win10 in the list of either important or optional updates yet proceeding with update states "Downloading Windows 10"!

I do not want and cannot use Windows 10 due to support issues with existing software. No opt-out option is unacceptable!

Sorry this didn't help.

Deepika, why can't we block this junkware?

Please explain WHY. 

I have been losing hours on this the past two days.  What specifically is your companies problem?

We CANNOT upgrade, the POS software we use does not work on Windows 10 and the security concerns are real.

Why must I waste hours cleaning up your companies mess?

Please ask Satya ****!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi John,

Sorry for the delayed reply and inconvenience caused.

“As part of our effort to bring Windows 10 to existing genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers, the Windows 10 upgrade may appear as an optional update in the Windows Update (WU) control panel.  This is an intuitive and trusted place people go to find Recommended and Optional updates to Windows.  In the recent Windows update, this option was checked as default; this was a mistake and we are removing Windows 10 from Windows Update for users that have not reserved a copy of Windows 10.”

FAQs: 

Q. When will the fix be available? 

Our engineering team is working at fast as possible. 

Q. How broadly did you roll out this change?
Windows 10 was made available to all qualifying Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems that are up to date with recommended updates and determined to be compatible. 

Q. Will you check Windows 10 as a default update within Windows Update in the future? 

We will continue to explore how best to deliver Windows 10 to qualifying PCs. 

Q. Is this for users that have reserved or not reserved the Windows 10 upgrade? 

Windows 10 is offered using Windows Update to all qualifying and compatible genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices. 

Q. Is it normal for Microsoft to pre select an optional update in WU? 

Yes, for updates we believe are in the customer’s best interest we pre-select. In this case, however, we are removing Windows 10 from Windows Update for users that have not reserved a copy of Windows 10. 

Q. Why this change now, are you really that desperate to get users to upgrade?  Are upgrades not going as well as you’ve claimed? 

We chose to make the upgrade available through the Windows Update control panel for Reserved PCs during the initial launch of Windows 10.  This is an intuitive and trusted place people go to find Recommended and Optional updates to Windows.  We believe this makes it easier and more intuitive for them to upgrade to Windows 10. 

Q: Is there a way to keep automatic updates on but not have the Windows 10 update come back again? 

Windows 7 and 8 allow people to choose how updates are delivered and installed.  Microsoft recommends using the setting that automatically downloads and Installs Recommended updates.  You still need to take action to install Optional updates. 

Q: Can I go back to my previous version of Windows if I don’t like Windows 10? 

Yes, you have one month to revert back to the previous OS on your device. That said, we believe that the super familiar nature of Windows 10 as well as speed, safety and security improvements we have made will make this an easy choice for consumers to upgrade to Windows 10 and love it. 

Q. Will you keep making changes to how you push out Windows 10? 

As part of our commitment to the best possible customer experience, we are exploring ways to streamline delivering Windows as a service. Like most online services, we’re always fighting new technology so we can learn and improve. In this instance, we’re working on learning more about the best way to deliver Windows 10 to users who qualify for the free upgrade.

For reference:

Refer to the suggestions provided by Sharief K in the link below.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/how-do-i-turn-off-notifications-to-upgrade-to/99b8fa20-277a-498b-a5d1-65bc6f70891c?tm=1442879715446  

In future, if you have any issues related to Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Sorry this didn't help.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/

collecting keystrokes is good for everyone, ya, you betcha

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/10/30/windows-10-upgrades-now-automatic/

At least they claim to be working on an enterprise version which will allow sysadmins to turn this off

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt577208%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

My question is - where do I get the Enterprise version of Windows 10 for testing that allows me to turn off the auto data collection mentioned in the above articles?

Thank you, I know this is not your choice, but your answers are not answers.  They are corporate gibberish to make it look like MS is actually doing us a favor when it is only trying to make money from other people's information.

Sorry this didn't help.