Problems with Wireless Service stopping every few minutes since CU4 yesterday

So, lucky me, I got cumulative update 4 (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3116908)) for Win 10, 1511 yesterday. Since then, my windows wireless service keeps stopping every few minutes and I have to reboot or use the networking troubleshooting to re-start the service. A little annoying to say the least. I've uninstalled the update and all seems well again.

The troubleshooting report says:

The Windows wireless service is not running on this computer 

The Windows wireless service is also called the WLAN Autoconfig service.

Who else is having the same problem? Does uninstalling the cumulative update work for you too?

|

Hi Monique,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand how you feel when things does not work as expected, I apologize for the inconvenience. Will certainly assist you with your concern.

I suggest you to reset Windows Update components and then install the update manually.

Follow these steps.

1. Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
  2. Stop the BITS service, the Windows Update service, and the Cryptographic service. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following commands. Make sure that you press Enter after you type each command.
    • net stop bits
    • net stop wuauserv
    • net stop appidsvc
    • net stop cryptsvc
  3. Rename the software distribution folders backup copies. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following commands. Make sure that you press Enter after you type each command.
    • Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
    • Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
  4. Restart the BITS service, the Windows Update service, and the Cryptographic service. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following commands. Make sure that you press Enter after you type each command.
    • net start bits
    • net start wuauserv
    • net start appidsvc
    • net start cryptsvc 

5. Restart your PC and check if it works this time when you try to update. 

Refer the following article for help in installing the update manually and check if that helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3116908

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

So you're solution is to re-install a the broken update? How is that going to help? Explain your theory please.

Anyway, after rolling back the update, I tried your suggestion and had to stop at step 3 because I could not rename the folders you specify as they are "open in another program." I had to use the System Configuration app to stop the services you mention from ever starting. After rebooting I was able to rename he SoftwareDistribution folder, but the catroot2 folder proved more troublesome because the Cryptographic service kept restarting and there were two subfolders with Guids for names that refused to be messed with. Eventually I ended up creating a new folder called "catroot2.bak" and copying all of the files (sans the two Guid folders) to it.

After reinstalling the update, it now appears to work as the wifi service has stayed on for a good hour now. Still, it would have been nice if you had provided some rationale behind your suggestion. I don't like being treated like a sheep.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I updated the wifi adapter driver from Intel and it resolved the issue. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to update my driver, but I have the most up to date available.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So you're solution is to re-install a the broken update? How is that going to help? Explain your theory please.

I haven't even tried to follow these directions because I thought the same thing. My machine is working fine without the update. I'll wait for the next update to fix this one before I update again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows automatic driver update came back with “The best driver software for your device is already installed”.  I went to the manufacturer’s support site and downloaded the software.  After the update, the driver date is 9/24/15.  The last used was 2/22/15 (pre-dates Windows 10).  The network adapter on this laptop is Intel.

I have 5 laptops in the family.  All of them went through the Windows 10 upgrade fine.  Then on December 8th, Windows ran a second update on my newest laptop with the Intel adapter.  I experienced the wireless service problem right after the update.  It seems to me most of the adapters ran okay with the Windows 8 drivers.  But my adapter needs a Windows 10 driver update.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

More updates today, resulting in return of wireless service instability.

Mine's a Qualcomm Atheros 9485. Went to website, found newer driver (10.0.0.324, dated July, instead of 10.0.0.321, dated May) , installed. If it remains stable, I'll risk re-installing the CU4 that caused the issues in the first place.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2021 Views 1,204 Applies to: