problems with Spectre update KB4100347

So Windows Update downloaded the Spectre patch, KB4100347, earlier this week -- and it seriously screwed up my processor speeds.  I've got an i7-6950, overclocked to 4250 on the front five cores and 4375 on the back five -- the first screenshot attached shows the proper reading in HWMonitor.

After the patch, even though the overclocking settings in my BIOS haven't changed, everything's screwed up -- all the cores are clocked to 4375, except random ones (it changes depending on reboot) that are massively downgraded.  In addition, the update breaks Intel Turbo Boost Max, which does not boot, shows up as not installed in the device manager, and which will not reinstall or start (there's an error message saying there's a problem and a BIOS setting might need to be changed.

So I know an update like this is needed because of Spectre; but I also know that my processor number is not actually among those listed in the knowledge base article.  So is Windows downloading this update incorrectly?  Is there another one that will actually work correctly with my processor?  Is there something I have to do in the BIOS before I install this update?  That's a problem because Asus still hasn't released anything but a beta BIOS for my board.  I currently have my computer rolled back and KB4100347 blocked, but that seems like a temporary fix given the serious nature of Spectre.  Any advice would be welcome.

Hello MJF74,

Since you are able to isolate the issue and found out that a specific update can cause this issue, we encourage you to submit your issue using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item, we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. The Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

For more information on Feedback Hub, see our Support Article and YouTube video

In order to submit a new feedback, please follow these steps:

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app.
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done.
  5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted. (it may take a while to appear)
  8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
  9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response. (it will look like https://aka.ms/<uniquelink>)

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

https://aka.ms/AA26afd

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for posting the link. In this way, other members who are experiencing the same issue can up-vote the feedback.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 7, 2019 Views 984 Applies to: