Preparing automatic repairs

After an update, i turned on my laptop and was met with “prepairing automatic repairs”. This is then met by the dreaded blue screen saying that the laptop will restart. Ive done the force shutdown 3x thing but still everytime i turn it on it gets stuck on “preparing automatic repairs” and has currently been in this state for around 20 hours. What do i do? 
Hello SashaFitz, I am Brian, an Independent Advisor and a fellow Microsoft user like you.

I understand the urgency of having to rectify this concern. Let me give you some guidelines to help you isolate and fix the concern.

Kindly carefully follow the steps below.

• Performing a Startup Repair •
1. If Windows 10 fails to boot normally three times over, the fourth time it enters by default in an Automatic Repair mode. Using this mode, you can boot into Safe Mode. To trigger the Automatic Repair mode, you must interrupt the normal boot process three consecutive times: use the reset or the power button on your Windows 10 PC to stop it during boot, before it finishes loading Windows 10. If you use the power button, you might have to keep it pressed for at least 5 seconds to force the power off. When your Windows 10 PC enters the Automatic Repair mode, the first thing you see is a screen that tells you that the operating system is “Preparing Automatic Repair.”
2. Click Troubleshoot.
3. Click Advanced options.
4. Then, click Startup Repair.

If the Startup Repair does not fix the issue, please do the next steps below:

• System Restore •
1. If Windows 10 fails to boot normally three times over, the fourth time it enters by default in an Automatic Repair mode. Using this mode, you can boot into Safe Mode. To trigger the Automatic Repair mode, you must interrupt the normal boot process three consecutive times: use the reset or the power button on your Windows 10 PC to stop it during boot, before it finishes loading Windows 10. If you use the power button, you might have to keep it pressed for at least 5 seconds to force the power off. When your Windows 10 PC enters the Automatic Repair mode, the first thing you see is a screen that tells you that the operating system is “Preparing Automatic Repair.”
2. Click Troubleshoot.
3. Click Advanced options.
4. Then, click System Restore. Select a date before the issue started happening.

Hope this helps. Stay safe always.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Brian, 

Thankyou so so much for your quick reply- because this laptop is for uni work this means a lot to me!! 
i think my issue was not holding the button for 5 seconds- even though it sounded as though it turned off! Unfortunately neither the start up repair nor the system restore worked so ive had to go for a full reset, but without your help i wouldve been stuck forever. Keep me in your prayers!:)

Again thanks so much and stay safe,

Sasha 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello SashaFitz, your response is very much appreciated.

My sincere apologies if the start-up repair and the system restore did not worked to help you rectify the concern.

If you wanted to pursue the full reset or Windows 10 Reset PC option, please bear in mind that you have two options, which are Keep Files, and Remove Everything.

On Keep Files option, your personal files will be kept, however, any installed third-party programs like Google Chrome browser, or Adobe Photoshop will be removed along the process.

On the other hand, if you choose the Remove Everything option, all of your files and programs will be wiped out, it is like reformatting the computer.

Please choose wisely.

If ever you need help in executing the Reset PC on the computer, just let me know, and I can help you.

Cheers!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 21, 2022 Views 168 Applies to: