Question

Q: OS slow after Windows 10 April update KB 4015217.

Like the title suggests, my computer underwent the automatic updates for windows 10. On April 11/12, 2017 it updated to the latest version available, kb 4015217. 

I did not experience the installation issues that plagued some users, the installation went by very smoothly, within 10mins. My issues happened the following morning when i started my computer for the first time since the update. 

Immediately, i experienced multiple black screens, as if my video card just stops working for a few seconds every few hours. After a while, this issue went away. Now my windows OS is extremely slow. The windows menu in the taskbar does not respond, i can't open the start menu at all. (i've waited about 40mins)

What used to take me seconds, like opening chrome, now takes about a minute. The strange part is that once the programs start, they run perfectly fine after that. However, alt+tab takes a few minutes to finally switch back and i can't switch between programs in my taskbar, because that takes even longer than waiting through alt+tab.

Games have not taken any major performance issues yet. However, today while playing Ark, i did experience periods of stuttering/lag which i have not experienced before. 

Basic things i've tried:

I've tried using powershell to repair any corrupted files, but the results say there is no problems there.

I've tried looking for the option to revert to the previous windows 10 version, before this update, but i have no option for it.

Searching a little, it seems this is an issue that affects a few people, but no one has found the cause yet. Thanks.

Answer

A:

We appreciate your effort to follow the troubleshooting steps we provided, Alex.

In this case, try to rollback your current Windows version to the previous version. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Go to Settings.

2. Click Update & security.

3. Click on Recovery.

4. Under "Go back to a previous version of Windows 10", click the Get started button.

5. Select the reason you're rolling back and click Next. The options are:

• My apps or devices don’t work on this build
  • Earlier builds seemed easier to use
  • Earlier builds seemed faster
  • Earlier builds seemed more reliable
  • For another reason – Tell them more.

6. Click No, thanks.

7. Click Next.

8. Click Next again and you will be thanked for trying out this build.

9. Click Go back to earlier build to begin the process.

Please remember that when you go back, you will lose the settings changes or the apps you may have installed after you upgraded to the current build.

After the going back to the previous version, please submit a feedback using the Feedback Hub app on your PC.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

75 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 5,377 Last updated: June 19, 2018 Applies to: