Not Enough Disk Space for Anniversary Update

I recently purchased a Windows 10 laptop/tablet with a 32Gb SSD. I only carry out small tasks like surfing and emails and the use of OneNote so this is more than enough for what I need.

However, on trying to upgrade to the anniversary edition I get the error that I haven't enough disk space (16GB required).

The storage utility reports that 29.1GB is actually available [as would be expected] 9.5GB is used for system and 5.25GB for apps and games the vast majority of which are preinstalled.

Is there any way round this or is my laptop now out of date?

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2019 Views 62,903 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Had the same problem and found the solution:

1. Make sure you have 8GB of free space
  2. Go and download the media creation tool from Microsoft: http://microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  3. Run MediaCreationTool.exe
  4. Click Upgrade this PC now
  5. Select Keep personal files and apps
  6. Let it install and when its done you will have the anniversary update
  7. Enjoy!

70 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Select the keyboard shortcut Win+S and type Disk CleanUp. Right click the Best Match at the top of the dropdown menu and select Run as Administrator. Click OK. Click the System button, scroll through the list and check the box before Previous Windows installation(s) and the boxes before any other files you wish to delete. Click OK.

It is important that you only delete Previous Windows installation(s) files if you are absolutely certain you will not want to revert to a previous version of Windows in the future. There will be no going back if you delete the files.

Please also refer to “How to Install Windows 10 on Devices with Limited Space”

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-install-windows-10-on-devices-with-limited/d933c129-c54b-4e40-aa4e-9813c59814af

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

39 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.