Need to hide an update, the "hide update" tool provided by Microsoft didn't do anything

So the latest series of Nvidia drivers (the 35x.xx) drivers have some kind of issue with Windows 10 from what I've seen online, and they cause my computer to hang at odd intervals and make any games pretty much unplayable due to constant freezing and hanging and stuttering and all sorts of horrible issues. Using the Group Policy Editor to disable automatic updates and rolling back to Nvidia driver 347.88 fixed the problem flawlessly, but now whenever my computer does get updates, and I actually want them, I have to install the latest Nvidia driver (the one that breaks everything) in order to get ANY of the updates. Microsoft was thoughtful enough to make a tool to hide certain updates so you don't have to install them, located here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930, but it didn't work. I successfully hid the update using the tool, and literally nothing happened. It's still in the update list. I rebooted my computer as well, checked for updates again, and it is still showing up. I'd like to update my computer, but since Microsoft's decision that they're infallible and all their updates are perfect so you can't pick and choose which ones to install anymore, I really can't do that. Can anyone think of a reason why the tool may not have worked? The tool is a diagcab file so it can't be run as an administrator or anything, so I don't think that's the issue... But I don't know.

Windows Update has become the most irritating thing on the planet and I need some help. Thank you in advance.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I would like to ask you:

• Are you referring to disabling it from Windows Updates?

To disable automatic updates, I suggest you to click on article provided below and check if It helps in resolving your issue.

Hide Windows Updates or driver updates:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/hide-windows-updates-or-driver-updates

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you
Ravindra R Kamath
Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You just linked me to the same tool that I linked to in my post. I've already disabled automatic updates. The problem is that I would like update Windows, but I can't do that without it installing the Nvidia update too, so I need to hide  that one update. That tool didn't work. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience.

No, there is no other way to stop an update from installing itself apart from the troubleshooter mentioned in KB3073930.

However, maybe an updated version of the Nvidia driver update (which you wanted to avoid) got released and therefore the update was not hidden any more.

Try running the troubleshooter again and check if it still doesn't hide the update. If not then you will have to install all the updates.

I would also recommend you to post this as a feedback in the Feedback app. It will help the development team make further changes to improve your Windows experience.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 31, 2022 Views 1,181 Applies to: