need fix for cumulative update for windows 10 version 1607 for x64 systems (KB3197954 - Error 0x8e5e0152

This computer had windows 7 pro.  It was upgraded to windows 10 pro.  Then it was updated with the newest version 1607 build 14393.222.  My other computer without windows update problems has build 14393.351.

Numerous updates over the past few months have worked and this one persistently fails:

cumulative update for windows 10 version 1607 for x64 systems (KB3197954 - Error 0x8e5e0152

each retry produces the same failure

running windows update troubleshooter always finds and fixes something and then a retry produces the same failure.

The last windows update that was successful was yesterday.  How do you fix this persistent update failure with its error code?

Answer
Answer

Robert;

WOW  WOW  WOW

Today I got it fixed!!!!!!!

It was magic......

Ran the windows update troubleshooter. Then I reran the windows updates.  Then it took a very long time.  Task manager displayed disk usage 100% for a very long time.  I ran windows performance monitor in case it may have some information.  Then there was a message that a reboot was needed.  After reboot it indicated that it had performed the windows updates that had previously been failures.  Windows updates was then run again and there were no updates.  Amazing.  About 10 days to two weeks ago I had contacted Microsoft and they had me use a batchfile.dat and that also failed to fix the updates.  Thank you for all the prior help.  Somehow persistence with numerous attempts enabled it to work today following the windows update troubleshooter.

These are tips for others that may still have the windows update problems:

1) go to left lower corner near the windows icon and enter troubleshooting into the search windows

2) click on the troubleshooting control panel

3) In the left column under Control panel home click on view all

4) In the menu troubleshoot computer problems go to the last row and click on Windows Update ....Resolve problems that prevent you from updating windows

5) run it as administrator.......if the option is not readily apparent then click on advanced and then run as administrator

6) to see if that fixed the problems rerun windows updates

7) hopefully that fixed the problems with windows updates

8) if that does not fix the problem try these additional steps:

a) enter command into the left lower corner search windows

b) right click on command prompt desktop app and click run as administrator

c) once command prompt is open enter:  sfc /scannow

d) if that finds or does not find integrity violation follow it with:  dism / online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

e) that should end displaying completed successfully

f) now you have both cbs and dism logs from the recent administrative command prompt runs

g) these can then be viewed for any operating system problems

h) to view these logs open notepad as an administrator and then click on file then open and enter the cbs or the dism to view the text files.

i) in the files click on edit then find and enter corrupt or failed and look for the text with the failures or the corruption

j) if nothing is found or fixed with viewing the cbs and dism logs then go to powershell

k) in the left lower corner search windows enter powershell and right click on Window powershell desktop app and run as administrator

l) when it pops open enter:  Get-WindowsUpdateLog

m) when it completes it will display:  WindowsUpdate.log written to C:\Users\    {your user name}       \Desktop\WindowsUpdate.log

n) there is no need to search hard for this log as it will be easily seen on the desktop

n) within the windows update log you can then look for any failures or corruption.

All of the above is what I had been doing for several months.  Only today by surprise did windows update and correct the two windows update failures.  Now all windows updates work.  

Good luck all

Hope the above helps!!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 1, 2020 Views 17,947 Applies to: