My windows 10 PC failed to complete download of Cumulative update KB3189866.
This seemed to work for me as well, at first.
For those unaware, go bring up the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del still works for that) click on the Services tab and right-click on wuauserv
from the dropdown choose Restart
Update will go back to the beginning and try again.
This installed/reinstalled everything but
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3189866)
which was where it stalled in the first place and then, again, stalled out at 45%
I have only tried this on one of my three Win 10 machines, all of which are currently stalled in the midst of the latest update process. One of them (the only one without the Win Anniversary Update, BTW) made it through the cumulative update but stalled on a Defender definition update the same day.
You can try this boss......
Here are Steps to Resolve the Issue:
- Open Local Services (services.msc)
- Browse to Service named “Windows Update”
- Go to Properties >> General Tab >> Startup Type
- Select Manual from Drop-down list
- Now STOP this “WINDOWS UPDATE” Service (By clicking on Stop Button)
- Now Reboot the PC or System or Laptop
- Now Browse to Folder “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\” (If OS is installed in “C” Drive)
- Now Delete all the files and folders in this SoftwareDistribution Folder
- Now Again Restart the PC or System or Laptop and make sure the folder is empty
- Again Open Local Services (services.msc)
- Browse to Service named Windows Update and Go to Properties >> General Tab
- Now START the “WINDOWS UPDATE” Service (As previously it was stopped)
- Now Go to SETTINGS >> Update & Security >> Click on "Check for Updates"
- Now the download should complete.
This solved my issue....!