Microsoft How to stop Windows 10 upgrade?

Why did you want me check those when I already read them and no replies to deal with the problem. I have Window 7 64bit and I have no intention of upgrading. But yet today I found $Windows.~BT installed on computer. I have not opted to reserve Windows 10. I also have a problem with the OS trying to configure my system by moving files around. I was working on a project and the whole Download was copied to favorites which by me looking in windows event viewer the data was sent to Microsoft. You will notice the Download folder is not a shortcut but a exact copy.  Now I have the same problem with My Document folder being copied to My library folder, which also gathers the data to send data by WMC.  This is getting to be too intrusive. The data I want to collect and manipulate to my preference and not classify to Microsoft liking. Now call me old school but I do know how to set up directory structures and like to keep them a certain way as this is a ongoing project mine it is constantly changing so it is not set. Also some programs I use do not come from a apps store and because they don't you should not prevent them from running. Sorry to say that Windows 10 in its current state does not belong on a Desktop as it hinders productivity when working with files and folders. It's great for portable devices but I thinks it goes to far when it comes into your home. Especially when WMC is not included which is one reason I can not upgrade and 30 days is not enough time to install programs and data and compatibility, (last time it took me 7 weeks). So I am asking how do I stop theese updates from downloading Windows 10 and its security features. Is there a way to opt out of upgrading or installing its prerequisite. Now I am afraid to install any updates as they are not security features but a way to collect more data or obtrusive advertising. So how can I clean this up?

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2019 Views 7,064 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To stop the notification for the Get Windows 10, you will need to uninstall the KB3035583 update by following the steps provided in the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

(Applies to Windows 10)

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Is there a way to opt out of upgrading or installing its prerequisite. Now I am afraid to install any updates as they are not security features but a way to collect more data or obtrusive advertising. So how can I clean this up?  I need to get my computer back to a working state before all this intrusion and reconfiguration took place. It will take me close to 8 weeks to configure windows from scratch.  What updates should I avoid. KB3035583 is not the problem the KB2952664 is the problem as I can not remove or uninstall it.  This would be classified a trojan if it did not come from Microsoft (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_%28computing%29). Even though I tried to find its location but can't because it renames itself. The very thing that Microsoft updates are supposed to protect me from are now changing the system files and configurations. It would seem that Windows 7 is becoming like Windows 10 without Cortana, Directx 12 and its interface. (As most desktop users do not want it contrary to the media) As a support engineer (aka just a title) what actions can I take to prevent this? Is there a list of updates that I should avoid.

PS: A word to the wise As by upgrading to Windows 10 it you relinquish your rights by doing so. Microsoft owns it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I found a reliable way to prevent Windows 10 update from installing:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

So far, I have done it on one of my machines. When my family gets comfortable using it, I will upgrade the rest of my computers.

Windows 10 was the last drop in the bucket of my patience. I missed the 30-day period to roll back to the infamous 8.1 because I rarely use my home computers and my family did not report the issues but kept rebooting all the time.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have done this 2x already and it is back every day trying to install Windows 10. I do not want Windows 10 now or maybe never. HELP GET RID AUTO UPDATE SCREEN!

Sorry this didn't help.

I do not want Windows 10 on my computer.  I was watching TV, glanced over at my computer about an hour ago, and without any authorization, a large circle popped up and my computer started installing windows 10.  I powered the computer off and looked up on my phone what was happening.  I don't want an automatic update.

I followed the above directions and there is not a KB3035583 update.  How do I get my computer to not automatically update to windows 10?

23 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Not helpful, I did this and now Windows 10 upgrade is still trying to install on my Windows 7.

Sorry this didn't help.

Would love to know what the answer is, I unstalled KB3035583 on all network computers but still coming back.

Sorry this didn't help.

The FIRST thing that needs done is to set Updates to "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them", as opposed to Automatically install. KB3035583 and KB2952664 are persistent, and are re-released by Microsoft every month.

When you are using Windows Update, look at installed updates, you can search by KB number, right-click - uninstall.

When the updates return again, right click them and click "hide", that will keep the updates from installing this time around.

There are also quite a few updates that add Win10 telemetry to Windows7 and 8/8.1. Those too, should not be installed.

Here is a list I've been compiling since March 2015 when I started testing Win10 (Too bad it seems as though Win10 is still in Alpha testing phase). DO feel free to copy this list and distribute.

KB's to NEVER install. The Malicious update KB's need to be ripped out by the roots if already installed!!

(KB2922324) -- Looks like this one has been pulled.

(KB2952664) -- which seems to seriously corrupt systems as you can read about all over this forum

(KB2952664)(rehashed) -- This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.

(KB2976978) -- This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.

(KB2977759) -- This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.

(KB2990214) -- This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.

(KB3021917) -- This update will help Microsoft and its partners deliver better system performance for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.

(KB3022345) -- which corrupts system files, as can be seen if your run SFC following this update (superseded by KB3068708)

(KB3035583) --  will pitch the free Windows 10 upgrade to customers.  which does not seem to cause a problem other than it readies my computer for Microsoft to start sending "reminders" to upgrade (Malware by most definitions)

(KB3044374) -- This article describes an update that supports you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 to a later version of Windows.

(KB3046480) -- This update enables the system to determine whether to migrate the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 to a later version of Windows when you upgrade from Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 to a later version of Windows.

(KB3050265) -- General improvements are made to support upgrades to a later version of Windows.

(KB3050267) -- It is an update to the Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1

(kb3065987) -- This article describes an update that contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

(KB3068708) -- This kind of update helps the overall application experience on Windows, by improving the current operating system for upgrade to the latest version of Windows.

(KB3068708)(rehashed) -- This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded.

(KB3065987) -- Contains some improvements to WU Client in Win 7 SP1 or Win Server 2008 R2 SP1.

(KB3065988) -- Contains some improvements to WU Client in Win 8.1, Win RT 8.1, or Win Server 2012 R2.

(KB3075249) -- This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels.

(KB3075851) -- This article describes an update that contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This update also resolves an issue in which certain Windows Update operations fail when you install Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: July 2015 (KB3065987) on Windows 7 Embedded editions.

(KB3080149) -- This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

(KB3083324) -- This article describes an update that contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

(KB3083325) -- Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: September 2015.

(KB3083710) -- Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

(KB3102810) --  Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
This article describes an update that contains some improvements for Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

(KB3105211) -- This security update resolves a vulnerability in Microsoft Edge. The vulnerability could allow remote code execution if a user views a specially crafted webpage in Microsoft Edge.

(KB3105213) -- Cumulative update for Windows 10: November 10, 2015
This article describes an update that contains some improvements for Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

(KB3112343) -- This update enables support for additional upgrade scenarios from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and provides a smoother experience when you have to retry an operating system upgrade because of certain failure conditions. This update also improves the ability of Microsoft to monitor the quality of the upgrade experience.

(KB3116903) -- This update makes improvements to ease the upgrade experience to Windows 10 Version 1511

(KB3123862) -- The update adds capabilities to some computers that lets users easily learn about Windows 10 or start an upgrade to Windows 10.

(KB3135445) -- This article describes an update that contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

(KB3138612) -- This article describes an update that contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

(KB3123862) -- Updated capabilities to upgrade Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 to Windows 10. This update adds capabilities to some computers that lets users easily learn about Windows 10 or start an upgrade to Windows 10.

(KB2919355) -- Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based Systems

(KB2976978) --  Compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. These diagnostics help determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who want to install the latest Windows operating system.

(KB3014460) -- Effects Win8.x (Tech Preview)

(KB3083325) -- This article describes an update that contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2.

(KB3086255) -- In addition to the changes that are listed for the vulnerabilities that are described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS15-097, this security bulletin addresses a defense-in-depth update for the secdrv.sys driver, a third-party driver. The update turns off the service for the secdrv.sys driver. This may affect the ability to run some older games.

(KB3102812 -- Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2.

(KB3112336) -- This update enables support for additional upgrade scenarios from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and provides a smoother experience when you have to retry an operating system upgrade because of certain failure conditions. This update also improves the ability of Microsoft to monitor the quality of the upgrade experience.

If you already installed Win10 but don't like how the Drivers are updated:

Show/Hide Updates Tool (KB3073930) -- In Windows 10, your device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes. Updates and drivers are installed automatically, with no need to select which updates are needed or not needed. In rare cases, a specific driver or update might temporarily cause issues with your device, and in this case you will need a way to prevent the problematic driver or update from reinstalling automatically the next time Windows Updates are installed.

Trees, sawdust in it's raw form.

Sorry this didn't help.

Why did you want me check those when I already read them and no replies to deal with the problem. I have Window 7 64bit and I have no intention of upgrading. But yet today I found $Windows.~BT installed on computer. I have not opted to reserve Windows 10. I also have a problem with the OS trying to configure my system by moving files around. I was working on a project and the whole Download was copied to favorites which by me looking in windows event viewer the data was sent to Microsoft. You will notice the Download folder is not a shortcut but a exact copy.  Now I have the same problem with My Document folder being copied to My library folder, which also gathers the data to send data by WMC.  This is getting to be too intrusive. The data I want to collect and manipulate to my preference and not classify to Microsoft liking. Now call me old school but I do know how to set up directory structures and like to keep them a certain way as this is a ongoing project mine it is constantly changing so it is not set. Also some programs I use do not come from a apps store and because they don't you should not prevent them from running. Sorry to say that Windows 10 in its current state does not belong on a Desktop as it hinders productivity when working with files and folders. It's great for portable devices but I thinks it goes to far when it comes into your home. Especially when WMC is not included which is one reason I can not upgrade and 30 days is not enough time to install programs and data and compatibility, (last time it took me 7 weeks). So I am asking how do I stop theese updates from downloading Windows 10 and its security features. Is there a way to opt out of upgrading or installing its prerequisite. Now I am afraid to install any updates as they are not security features but a way to collect more data or obtrusive advertising. So how can I clean this up?

I know this is a late reply, but for anyone else reading this and wondering about a solution, I wrote a simple standalone program called OptOut10 that has these features:

• Disables the Windows 10 advertisements and popups in Windows and on the MSN website.
  • Disables the automatic download and installation of Windows 10.
  • Cancels any Windows 10 upgrade reservation or scheduled update set by the user or Microsoft.
  • Deletes the Windows 10 installation payload if it has already been downloaded to your PC.
  • Disables the Windows 10 spyware engine that is now installed on Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs by Windows Update.
  • Free, tiny and efficient.  No installation required or possible.  Just download it, run it, and click [Opt Out Now!]

It is available here.

Dear Microsoft, please make Windows 10 functional, pretty & intuitive, not boring, clumsy & buggy!

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

• Disables the Windows 10 spyware engine that is now installed on Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs by Windows Update.

Huh?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.