machine creating windows modules installer restore points continuously

Hey all,

Sorry if this is old news. I went back a ways and didn't find anything on it.

Great running win 10 pro laptop. SFC passes, I don't use registry cleaners or anything like that. I create a restore point monthly.

Starting in Aug I noticed that it creates them on its own either every day, or every other day and wipes out any points I created eventually. I don't get it. Version 1803 Build 17134.345

Thanks for any ideas.

|
Hello Joe,

Have you checked your update history in Windows Update and see if it correlates to your restore points? The Windows Modules Installer usually is responsible for installing individual Windows updates.

Some people suggest it could be the Windows Defender Verification Task creating those restore points, check this link here (and the one in there as well to disable it): https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/94l...

I hope this helps, please feel free to keep me up to date on whether this is the case or not, and if you have any lingering concerns about the process.

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I think the problem started at some point after the KB4343909 cumulative update back on Aug 15. There are several updates between then and now. They look typical.

I saw the reddit thing and cannot locate the Defender verification task in task scheduler. Maybe you can steer me to it. Thanks Ethan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Joe,

I'd be happy to. In Task Scheduler, on the left pane, you should navigate to Task Scheduler (Local) > Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender

In the middle of the screen with the list, there should be a Windows Defender Verification item. Expand the "Name" column on the top of that panel if you need to, so you can see where it is. Right-click that item and click Disable in the context menu.

Hope this helps! Feel free to let me know if you have any additional concerns, questions, or if you simply can't find it still.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok I found it.  I just had a windows update come in that required a restart so I will wait a few days and see if that solves the problem first, then will do what you suggest if it doesn't. Thanks 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Joe,

If that doesn't work, I recommend you wait for a solution by Microsoft themselves, as it is something that they are currently investigating. It should provide solace knowing it's something that you not only have, it would be a much tougher nut to crack if this was isolated to you. Should a solution be made by them, it should be in a future hotfix, read more here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Best of luck in getting this issue resolved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ethan, thanks for the link. I am not the lone ranger so I think I will wait it out. I may reply to that thread in your link to throw my hat in the ring there. I checked the cbs log and it shows creating restore points as well. Like I said earlier, I just had a restart type update from Microsoft so maybe i will luck out but I won't hold my breathe.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 17, 2021 Views 318 Applies to: