Latest Windows 10 Update kills logitech mouse and HP keyboard connection on HP Z1 All in one

I have discovered a totally frustrating situation brought about by Microsoft's latest update. No matter what I do, having spent a few hours working on my Z1, if I restart or shutdown Windows applies its updates. But on restarting the computer the screen comes on but my mouse and keyboard are disabled and my only choice is to hard reset the Z1 whilst pressing the F11 key to enter the setup and have the computer reinstall a System Image that I have saved to my "D" drive. Thank goodness that I have a system image in reserve that I can revert my computer back to or I'd be absolutely snookered. Anybody out there with a fix or if you are listening Microsoft can you come out quickly with a bug fix please. Its really frustrating having to constantly reset you computer back to a system image just to carry on with some work.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2019 Views 405 Applies to:
Hi Frustrated,

Windows Update KB4074588 has caused a problem with your USB Ports (Hub Drivers), you mosue and keyboard are fine . . .

If you cannot get into Windows:

Start your PC, just as Windows attempts to load (spinning dots), press and hold Power Button for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a Hard Shut Down

Do this twice

On the third start Windows will boot into the Recovery Environment and from there you can access System Repair, Safe Mode, Command Prompt . . . etc.

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - Command Prompt

Copy the command below (depends on your system). then in the Command window, right click to paste, then hit Enter to run the command

For 32bit Systems:

dism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~16299.248.1.17

For 64bit Systems:

dism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17

Close Command and Restart your System

If you can get into Windows:

Open Command Prompt as Admin and copy the command below (depends on your system). then in the Command window, right click to paste, then hit Enter to run the command

For 32bit Systems:

dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~16299.248.1.17

For 64-bit versions of Windows:

dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17

Close Command and Restart your System

You must then stop this update from installing again:

Download the tool from the link below, run that, in the list of pending updates, select that update and click 'Hide' that will stop windows from attempting to install it:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f2...

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

After installing the February 13, 2018 security update, KB4074588 (OS Build 16299.248), some USB devices and onboard devices, such as a built-in laptop camera, keyboard or mouse, may stop working for some users.

Cause
This issue occurs when the Windows Update servicing stack incorrectly skips installing the newer version of some critical drivers in the cumulative update and uninstalls the currently active drivers during maintenance.

Press Windows key + R
Type: appwiz.cpl
Hit Enter
Click View installed updates

If the following KBs are are installed, right click each then click uninstall:
- KB4074588

If that does not work...

Power on and off your computer three times
On the third time, your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment
Click Advanced Options
Click Troubleshoot
Click Advanced Options

Click Command Prompt (Admin)

Confirm the drive letter for the Windows image. Usually D: –> dir d:

Run the following to view the installed packages which will also show a date of install.

Dism /Image:D:\ /Get-Packages

Find the package(s) that were just installed by date. Run the following command on the last installed package:

dism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17

If you are running 32 bit Windows, run this command instead:

dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~16299.248.1.17

Reboot.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.