Question

Q: KB4051963 Issue with the installation: locked up at 30% during configuration of update

Recycled power in order to force a restart.  Curiously enough, the build now indicates an update to 16299.94 despite the windows update status of requires a restart to complete installation.  After restarting, nothing changed.  Using the Windows Update Troubleshooter did not resolve the issue.  I then tried powershell in admin mode to run the following commands: dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (no problems reported); sfc /scannow (no issues reported); rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN (returned a prompt--no activity) and a chkdsk /f just for good measure at the next restart.  Restarted again (no evidence of anything other than the chkdsk cmd being executed); checked the windows update history, which still indicates a restart is necessary to complete the installation of the update.  Windows Update continues to update Windows Defender definitions, but the status still remains the same for KB4051963.

Correction: build number is 16299.98, not .94

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Since the steps you tried did not help. We suggest that you download and install the update manually through Microsoft Update Catalog and see if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Since the steps you tried did not help. We suggest that you download and install the update manually through Microsoft Update Catalog and see if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

I assume I would only need to install the x64 update (as opposed to ARM64).  I will give it a shot when I get in from work.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to reinstall manually from the download through Microsoft Update Catalog; I received a message stating the update KB4051963 was already installed.  Windows Update still states that a restart is required to complete the installation, so I remain confused.

Sorry this didn't help.

Since the steps did not help. We may need to perform a repair upgrade instead. Click here for the article created by one of our Community MVPs "Andre Da Costa" on how to perform a repair upgrade using Windows 10 ISO file.

Keep us posted.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think in this case, since the issue is pretty much cosmetic (when viewing the installed update history, KB4051963 shows as 'requiring a restart to complete the installation'), I'm going to quit while I'm ahead and wait until the next major release.  Right now, my system is operating without any other problems (that I am aware of, to date) at version 1709, build 16299.98.  Thanks for the feedback, though.

Sorry this didn't help.

As a sidebar, the installation of 2017-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64 based Systems (KB4054517) exhibited the same behavior--locked up at 30%. Again, after recycling power, update resumed and completed.  System is now at build 16299.125.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 623 Last updated: May 23, 2018 Applies to: