KB4015217 Failed to install on XPS 13

The KB4015217 update is driving me crazy! It has failed to install 6 times untill now, with each round of installing/restoring taking between 2-3 hours.

After updating, this is the error message that I get: "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer".

Some more info:

- The system I have is a Dell XPS13, i5-6200, 8Gb RAM, 64-bit Windows 10 Home.

- It came pre-installed with Win10.

- I have tried Windows Update Troubleshooter 3 times. Each time it says it found and fixed a problem, but this does not lead to succesfull installation of the update.

If there is anybody out there who can provide a solution, I would be very grateful.

Answer
Answer

Yes! Hallelujaaaah! :-)

Finally the update has succesfully installed. Thank your for all your contributions.

The main fix:

• start laptop from recovery USB
  • choose advanced troubleshooting, command prompt
  • assigning a drive letter to the system reserved partition (so checkdisk could run on it), R: in my case:
    • "diskpart"
    • list volume
    • "select volume X" (select the volume that is shown as "system", with label ESP in my case, where X is the nr that you see when listing the volumes)
    • "assign letter=r"
    • "exit"
  • "chkdsk r: /f"

Then I did the following, although in the end I am not completely sure if these steps were totally neccesary after the above fix:

• "bootrec /rebuildbcd"
  • "bootrec /fixboot"
  • "bcdboot c:\windows"

After that I let Win10 check for updates again and complete (and restart) again. Update installed succesfully in less than 5 minutes.

62 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

When I try to activate ("active") the appropriate partition, I am getting this:

The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk.

the ACTIVE command can only be used on fixed MBR disks.

I think you are getting confused by some quotes included to show "what doesn't work".  E.g. note that Kenneth mentioned that he had EFI too.

When I try the command "bootrec /rebuildbcd", I am getting this:

Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows installations: 0

I think that was mentioned somewhere in the other links or in some comments in the other links...

And did you notice Frank Work's comment "had to assign a drive letter and run chkdsk on the EFI partition before bootrec and bcdboot could complete properly."

Otherwise here is a suggestion from Andre Da Costa  to try renaming the BCD first

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-windows-10-wont-boot-startup-repair-bootrec/ 

HTH

Robert
---

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 19, 2020 Views 6,558 Applies to: