KB3193494 cannot be installed and is rolled back

Last week the KB3189866 update was released and my computer tried to install it. Just before the reboot it proceeded to 35% and it initiated a reboot. The update was continued and quickly went to 65-70%. From that point it was very slow. It took about 1-2 hours to reach the 97%. At that time, the computer rebooted and the update was rolled back (also took an hour).

I have already read some issues with this update and that you should install the offline updater. It has the same problem. Microsoft released KB3193494 to resolve the download issue, so I tried again. Still the same problem :-(

The event log shows the following messages:

21-09-16 21:09:45 - A reboot is necessary before package KB3193494 can be changed to the Installed state.

21-09-16 22:18:56 - Package KB3193494 failed to be changed to the Installed state. Status: 0x800f0923.

Status 0x800f0922 and 0x800f0816 have been shown as well for when the package failed to change to the Installed state.

My Dell Precision 5510 (Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5, 32GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, nVidia Quadro M1000M) is running Windows 10 (anniversary update). All drivers have been updated to the latest versions.

Update September 29, 2016: Cumulative update KB3194496 still has the same issue :-(

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

To Add:

I have a custom built Desktop and a Lenovo ThinkPad, both running Windows 10 64-bit Anniversary Update, and both have failed on restart for updates KB3189866 andKB3193494.  After the update is completely installed: (1) restart: (2) update completes to 34%; (3) restart; (4) update completes to 64%; (5) restart; (6) Update fails and requires three restarts to return to the login.

I have run these two updates every possible way — Windows Update; Package Install; Cleaning the SoftwareDistribution Folder; Disabling all services on Startup except Windows Services; Disabling Secure Boot; Disabling other hard drives; Repairing Windows Update...

Windows Update service is disabled to prevent cycling through the same problem over and over.

UPDATE 9/30/2016:

Looks like Microsoft has moved on to KB3194496 and I am experiencing the same issues with it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You don't need to disable the Windows Update service. You can disable this particular update using the program listed in KB3073930.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you try to run the following PowerShell script to show your driver versions:

Get-WmiObject Win32_PnPSignedDriver | Select -Unique DeviceName, Manufacturer, DriverVersion | Sort-Object -Property DeviceName

Maybe we can sort out which drivers are generic between the systems and find out what could be wrong. Click here for my listing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same problem with both of these updates.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here ya go ... Hope this helps

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem overhere with KB3189866 and KB3193494

download ok. install to 15% then restart, then some updates could not be finished rollback/restart/undo the changes etc

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We need to all get together and file a federal injunction against Microsoft that claims their operating systems make hardware compatible under the OS, and certify vendors. The injunction should bar them from sending out upgrades that have not been tested on HP, etc. that they have certified.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same problem with KB3189866 and KB3193494, also disabled auto update.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems you have complete different hardware then I have. I hoped to find some similarities, but it seems completely different...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

running W10 on a 'old' Acer Aspire M3201 desktop system, 8 gb memory, 256 Adata SSD SP900 , samsung hdd 750gb, pcie usb 3.0 controller card, nvidia geforce gt430 videocard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 20, 2020 Views 8,284 Applies to: