KB3140743 stops keyboard working in some games.

After a reboot, my keyboard suddenly didn't work in Trackmania Stadium 2.

A search on the forums found this; http://steamcommunity.com/app/232910/discussions/search/?gidforum=864960354340839181&include_deleted=1&q=keyboard+not+working

This cited KB3140743 as the problem. Reportedly, this problem also exists in GTA5. And will quite possibly affect other games as well.

I uninstalled KB3140743, rebooted, and now the keyboard works in-game again.

A bit of investigation found some link between having a controller plugged in contributing to the problem, so that may be required to reproduce the bug.

It's all very well making it very hard to prevent automatic updates, but when they break things so fundamentally you have to wonder...

|

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

This also happens with KB3140768.

Windows update service has be turned off currently in order to be able to play the games I like. This isn't acceptable.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

This post suggests a possible 'fix' by reverting to the 'Microsoft XBox One Controller' drivers instead.

The good news is that this also seems to resolve the issues with many games developed in Unity.

The bad news is that it also breaks XBox accessories if you are using the XBox One Elite controller.  So no configuring the sticks or trigger buttons you paid so much for. :(

It also seems to introduce 'input dropping' whereby holding a button down can sometimes cancel the input if other controls are also used. Pretty hopeless for competitive gaming.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated November 2, 2020 Views 543 Applies to: