Question

Q: KB3081424 fails to install and computer gets stuck in rebooting loop

The first windows 10 update fails - not a good sign for what is to come! It is now probably taking 10 minutes for my computer to get out of this reboot loop. Come on Microsoft this is simply not acceptable after so many months of testing Windows 10. Please advise on how to resolve this with out any further delay.

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10 family.

Sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

Refer to the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and check if it helps.

1. Tap on Windows Key and click on search bar.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and Click on Troubleshooting.

3. Click on View All on the left panel of the screen.

4. Then click on Windows Update.

4. Then click on Next and follow the instructions.

If the issue still persist, refer to the below method.

Method 2: I would suggest you to check for the Windows installer service in services Window.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type "services.msc" without the quotes and hit on Enter Key.

3. Search for Windows Update in the list.

4. Double click on it and select startup type.

5. Select Automatic and click on Start.

6. Then click on Apply and click on OK.

Method 3: I would suggest you to boot the Computer in clean boot mode and try to install the update. Troubleshoot with the issue.

Refer to the below link to enter into clean boot state. The below link can also be applicable to Windows 10.

Clean boot disclaimer: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot. Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or experience the original behavior if the problem still exists. If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Once you perform clean boot do refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting” to boot the computer in normal mode.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance and we will be glad to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much for your speedy reply.  I regret that none of these methods solved the problem.  

I did some more research and found that after making a small change to the regedit file the updates loaded correctly.  I have inserted the link here - Solution I was uncomfortable about doing this because I have never amended the regedit file before.  I did take a copy of the original file and created a restore point just to be on the safe side.  Just very pleased that it is resolved!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 58 Last updated: December 28, 2017 Applies to: